Recomendation for 7.1 Receiver

Unregistered guest
I'm looking for a suggestion for a 7.1 Receiver, I have a media room that is 22 feet long, 14 feet wide. It is wired for 7.1. I'm looking to spend about $1100 on the receiver. Also recomendations on side and rear speakers. I've been looking at Denon and Onkyo, but the board appears to love Marantz.

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1009
What speakers do you have now? Can't give you a good recommendation without knowing that and your future speaker plans.

Deathvalley
Unregistered guest
The only speakers that I'm likely keeping are my fronts, they are Polk Towers, with a powered sub-woofer, but they are few years old themselves, so I'm open to speaker, receiver suggestions.

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1013
I would keep the Polks and add new Polk center/surrounds to them. For a receiver in your budget I would look at the Elite vsx-56 which can be had for under $1000, the Marantz 7500 and the H/K 635. All work very well with Polks.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 210
I would entirely agree with the last post. Stay away from Denon and Yamaha with your polks and you should be happy with any of the above listed.

My order of preference would be

1. Marantz 7500
2. Pioneer vsx-56
3. HK AVR 435/635

Bronze Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 74
Well, I had Polk RTi8's with a Denon 701 Reciever and an H/K 625. The Polks are a tad warm and sounded muddy with the h/K. Too much warmth?

They certainly sounded better with the Onkyo. The Onkyo brought out a little more detail and got rid of of some the midrange bloat that was present with the h/k and Polk Combo. The H/K sounded great with Klipsch, so I'm not bashing H/K.

I currently have a Denon 3805 with Axiom's. I find that I hear a lot more detail with the 3805 than any of the other receivers.

I would go with either the Denon or the Marantz espcially since both have auto setup and auto room equalization.

Looks like I'm the only Denon fan here.

Elite - congrats on your gold status!

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
I have the NAD T773 7.1 receiver and I think that over all 7.1 receiver is not usefull at all: first, all movies today they coded 5.1 Dolby digital, dts... and you will not find any movie 7.1. Second, for music, 5.1 is more than enough, as for clean music, 2 channels stereo some will say is the best, but even with DTS or SACD, 5.1 is the max for music. My opinion, save the money for better speakers, and have max 6.1 receiver.

Good luck, Daniel

kenther
Unregistered guest
i'm also looking at the marantz 7500. one question: can i listen to music in 2 channel stereo without the subwoofer and can i listen to home theater in 5.1 with the subwoofer? can i set the receiver to know my preferences?

Bronze Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 76
The 7500 will not output to the sub in stereo. Neither will Yamaha or H/K. Denon and NAD will output to the sub in stereo mode. I don't know about the Pioneer Elite.

edster922
Unregistered guest
death,

If you're doing mainly HT, the Onkyo is definitely the best bang for the buck...you can get a 602 for just a little over $300 from JandR.com

Slappy
Unregistered guest
The denon 3805 is an excellent reciever, no way around it. But it really seems to be somewhat picky about what speakers you use with it. I was running some Paradigm 9SEmk3's with it and it was so freaking dark i couldnt handle it. I gave em to a buddy of mine who hooked em up to his Yamaha and they sounded really good.
So i went out and picked up a pair of JM Lab Chorus 707s's to go with my 3805, and damn that is a fine sounding combo.
the 3805 also seems to do pretty nice with KEF speakers and B&W as well.

Unregistered guest
I have Sony SA-VE367 7.1 Speaker System. I would like to buy a 7.1 Receiver for this. I had a chance to take a look at Sony 7.1 receivers, but seems they doesnt have optical inputs from DVD. My budget is limited(not more than $500). Please suggest optimal receiver. Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 77
The only problem i found when looking for a receiver that is 5.1 is that it doesn't have good speaker termials(mostly clips, i prefer post), or the digital hook ups are to few.

Is there any good 5.1 receivers out there. that are built well.

When I finaly do upgrade (after my room is finished) I think i'm going with the Outlaw combo preamp and 7 channel amp. you can get it for 1498.

But this weekend I installed a system for someone a panisonic receiver and cerwan vega speakers 5.1, and it sounded very nice. actualy great for a 1500 system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us