Bose which Receiver

Username: Hotrod4

Post Number: 1
Well I've read about myself here in your posts. You know the guy that listened to the 901's (years ago)and couldn't wait for some.... Geessss
Well I got 301 for the front and 201 for the rear and bose center. I have a Pioneer VSX-D710S powering the bose, and a Sony amp powering two 12" subs. Well I'm in the market for a new amp, I can't tell my wife I need new speakers at this point, (took alot of talking for the Bose) so my question is, which one. Was looking at the Onkyo TX-NR801 Receiver, then after reading a bunch of posts here, well think I changed my mind on that. Harman Kardon AVR7200 Receiver has my eye now. Would it be ok with my Bose until some day I can get different speakers, or is there a better choose? Thanks for any advise

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Post Number: 342
I like the onkyo 801 better - won the receiver of the year award for under a grand unit. Can also be hooked upto a computer to access all the music on the web.

You are right about the speaker upgrade - especially for the front. They will be ok on the back since less is going on there.

You can get axiom speakers for $225 which will be a noticeable improvement -
http://www.vertigoonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AMB S667

Another option is to get this $300 receiver, and get the Axiom speaker with the left over dough. It sounds and looks good too - panasonic sa-xr45.

Meanwhile, try to get thick monster speaker wire - they tame the Bose a little.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 179
You cannot find a better buy on a receiver today than the H/K7200. It can be had for under $800 at some mail order sites and is a true powerhouse. The 801 is a decent unit but can't come close to the 7200's multichannel power. Make sure the 7200's limited inputs are going to be enough for your needs in the future as it only has 6. I would get rid of those Bose as soon as you can afford to and get something is more worthy of whatever receiver you choose. For example if you get the 7200 pair them with a Monitor Audio system and you'll really have something to be proud of.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 190
Get the H/K--much better power. Also a better match to my ears. The bose are pretty forward sounding and a tad bright, so the smoother charecter of the H/K would be a better match, IMO. On sale at One Call for $788, but you may even find it cheaper elsewhere:

http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_18440.htm

Unregistered guest
I too am looking to upgrade my receiver. I have been very happy with an Onkyo TX-DS595. It is only 5.1 and I am looking to go to 7.1. I have seen some bad press posted here on the newer Onkyo products when it comes to power or the lack thereof. Did Onkyo make changes to their products in regard to power? I am at about 70% HT and 30% Music. I am looking in the $800 range for a receiver. Have heard good stuff here about the HK7200. Any reason to look anywhere else? I have Athena ASF1 fronts and ASC1 center. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Post Number: 350
Danny,
I would keep your present setup - should sound pretty good. $800 will not get you much of an upgrade unless you buy used at www.videogon.com
Not much is available for 7.1 now, and who knows how it will play out in the future.

If you really want to upgrade your sound, and your Onkyo has preout, I would get a power amp from www.audiogon.com or www.videogon.com like a parasound or acurus one.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to go with the H/K. Let you all know how I like it when it gets here. Is there a decent pair of speakers in the $500 range, I could use for fronts?

Unregistered guest
H. R. What are you looking for, floor standards or book shelfs? For the money, Athena makes great speakers and they can be purchased at almost any Best Buy (as I feel the cringe from those reading). Their AS-F2's go for $600 and are amazing for that price. The AS-F1's aren't as good, but they are better than 90% of the stuff out there.

Post Number: 3
Geesssss, I should have stated what I was looking for. Yes floor, or towers are what I'd like. I was just reading a review on the Athena AS-F2, the review said they we amazed with the sound (for the price).
Thanks for the reply

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 242
H R,
the Athena AS-F2 with be great combined with your H/K. I have those and I really love them.

cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us