Choosing speaker for NAD C352 + NAD C542 ~~ help

Username: Phsf98

Post Number: 1
hi all,

i am seeking a right speaker for the above equipments.
I listen to clasical, jazz and vocal.

My local dealer has demo the above system with a pair of NHT SB-2. I am impressed by the performance but feel like not totaly satisfy.
Since i am new, i am not sure how good a speaker sound is consider good for the money i pay.

I have few other speaker in my mind:

Epos M5
Monitor Audio Bronze B2
Tannoy Mercury MX2
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

and not sure how good these speakers will go with my new amp and cd player compare with the NHT. Please help me if u have the experience with these combination.:-)
Other great speaker recommandation is also welcome.

Thanks in advance!
sf

Bronze Member
Username: Spl

Manila Philippines

Post Number: 32
From experience, the best I've heard in your price range with the NAD would be Dynaudio Audience 52.

The Monitor Audio Bronze B2 is great with NAD as well and cheaper than the Dynaudio. This is the system that I bought for my sister 2 months ago.

I recently heard the Diamond 9.1 and 9.3 with NAD equipment and I wasn't impressed at all. It's possibly because the Diamond's were new. I was impressed with the awards of the 9.1s so I went out of my way to listen to these speakers.

I would strongly suggest you listen to the Audience 52's first before you make a decision.

Bronze Member
Username: Asimo

Post Number: 32
I have a very similar stereo set NAD C541 and NAD C350 I tried few speakers and found that this combination needs "soft" speakers.
The NAD C350 is very accurate and revealing, if you add a very accurate and revealing speakers you may end with some harsh sound. This is more typical for non perfect recordings.
For a while I used Sonus Faber Concertino's speakers and found the sound to be a little harsh and screaming when volume got louder. (On violin or female voice)
I changed the speakers to Mission 751f and the sound improved mainly in the height's
Still I prefer to use my old NAD 7000 monitor receiver over the new NAD C350.
I suggest you to try the speakers on your list with high volume and look for traces of harshness.

bodin
Unregistered guest
Myki;

Can you describe to me what kind of sound does NAD and MA B2 will give. Cause I read some reviews on MA B2 and some of them warned not to pair this speaker with NAD amplifier/receiver. I have a NAD receiver and MA B2 is one of my choices, including DM601s3 and Mini Monitor.
Thanks

Anonymous

Hi there,

I have just bought myself a NAD C320BEE amp and the Wharfedale diamond 9.1 spearkers. I bought the speakers mainly based on the review and recommmendation from a magazine. Does anyone have any information about this speakers or this combination? Is it right to have this combinbation? For me , I am kind of new in this audiophile area so it is hard of me to judge the sound quality of them. But it seems like I am not 100% happy about it. I would like to hear your comment. Thanks

Bronze Member

Manila Philippines

Post Number: 35
Bodin,

The NAD and B2 combination was a pleasure to listen to. It had details and decent low bass extension. I liked the sound of vocals in this combination and I think it will do quite well with different kinds of music. Imaging wasn't as good as I wanted it to be but it could have been the room.

Anonymous,

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 sounds a little dull. It lacked life. The highs were missing as well as the bass. I actually preferred the 8.1's bass. NAD is more on the warm side of things so partnered with the 9.1, it will sound even more dull. Let the speakers break-in for awhile but I still don't think it will be a good match. I would suggest more detailed speakers.

Anonymous

Hi Myki,

Thanks for your comment on Wharfedale 9.1. I 100% agree with you. It's really dull. I took the speakers back to the dealer and exchanged a B2 speakers. The B2 sounds much better even my wife can tell the difference. I really enjoy the music now.
Well, I think it is a good lesson that I learnt here. Don't always trust what the magazine says. I can't believe they rate the W 9.1 as product of the year.
Thanks for your comment.

ca_convert
Unregistered guest
I have a C542 and C352 with B&W DM303's which seem to have been forgotten by the UK press anyway. The tube loaded Titanium tweeter is smooth, I seem to recall that the DM303 was voted a better speaker than the MA Bronzes when they first appeared.

What Hi-Fi loves the diamond 9.1's and has tested them with the NAD 542 and 352. You really have to go listen to them and make sure thay have been run in for at least a week.

dnnyt
Unregistered guest
Is it good match between NAD C320BEE with Mordaunt Short MS902?
i already have ms902, any suggestion which amp will be good match?
thank you

Username: Freshfighter

AntwerpBelgium

Post Number: 4
I'm thinking of a similar set-up, but I'm doubting between a NADC320BEE en a Cambridge Audio 540A as amps and the following speakers:
- Energy C1
- JMlab Chorus 706s
- Monitor Audio Bronze B2
- B&W DM303
- Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

I know the MA B2 matches outstandingly with the NAD, but I kinda like the Cambridge more (looks better), so what speakers would be a good match with that amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 22
Probably the JMlab's since they yend to have a fuller sound, which the 540 doesnt, so they should work together well

Bronze Member
Username: Agimat

Post Number: 69
According to What HI FI mags, MA B2 matches perfectly with Cambridge amps. I have a CA Azur 540r and MA B2 and the combination is really outstanding and crystal clear.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Myki

How much is the Dynaudio 52 in Manila and who are the dealers?

Thanks

Bronze Member

Manila Philippines

Post Number: 36
Larz,

The price of the Audience 52 realwood is around P39k or around US$670. It's sold by the Listening Group of Companies. They have several branches but the main one is "Listening in Style" at the Shangri-La Mall at Mandaluyong City.

Myki

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Thanks Myki. It's cheaper there in Manila. Here in Toronto the price is $1,400cnd including tax or around us$1,100.I'm planning to come back to Manila for a two week vacation and I'll drop by at Shangrilla to get a pair.

Thanks again for the info.

dong
Unregistered guest
Myki,

Have you tried auditioning NAD (specifically receiver) with either Mini Monitor. DM601s3 or Image 2B? Do you have any idea how they perform compared with the MA B2? I believed these babies can be found in Manila. Also, can you help me dtermine if this Dynaudio dealer has a branch in Cebu?

Thanks.

Bronze Member

Manila Philippines

Post Number: 37
larz, if you want to get used stuff you can check out the forums at pinoydvd.com or wiredstate.com. I see Audience 42s there for $300.

dong, sorry but I haven't tried NAD with B&W and the 2B. With the MA B2, the NAD is a great match. I bought B2s for my sister for $220. I don't think there is a Dyn dealer in Cebu but I'm not sure.

dong
Unregistered guest
Myki,

Are you saying that you paid less than PhP13k for the B2s? Again, can you help me determine if I can avail that in Cebu?

Thanks a lot.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Thanks Myki, I'll check those websites.

Bronze Member

Manila Philippines

Post Number: 38
dong,

My computation may have been a bit off... I got it for P13,500 here in Manila.

dong
Unregistered guest
Myki,

When did you bought your pair and do you think that amount, more or less, still the same as of this time? Actually im from Iligan and Cebu is nearer to me. Thats why im asking if I can avail MAs in Cebu. Would you mind helping me?
Thank you very much

Bronze Member

Manila Philippines

Post Number: 39
dong, I got it last year for my sister from Toys for the Audio Boys at StarMall Mandaluyong.

I suggest that you go to pinoydvd.com and ask around for current prices.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us