Center or Sub for Onkyo 494

ARG!
Unregistered guest
I just got an Onkyo 494 (a bit old, but still sounds pretty good, 55 wpc, all channels, into 8 ohms) about a month ago . . . I was using my older still 3-way pioneer bookshelfs until I got a new set of speakers for Christmas. Unforntunately, I was not consulted when my speakers were picked for my Christmas present, and I ended up with Sony SS-K30ED's (which are exclusive to circuit city . . . rated up to 130 watts. The new sony's have 6.5" woofers and 1" tweeters (only two-way). Now, I'm thinking of getting either a sub or a center for my little setup. By the way, I use my speakers for my computer. The Onkyo convienently has an optical input and my sound card has an optical out. I use speakers for about 20% movies (5.1 downmix usually), 45% games, and 35% music. Any suggestions, thoughts or witty remarks would be appreciated.

P.S. Just in case you didn't notice by my equipment, I'm sorta on a limited budget. Recommending I replace my whole system (altough probably the best course of action) will not be an option. Likewise, I lack the funds to buy a $10,000 sub or center . . .

Anonymous1
Unregistered guest
I say go with the sub . . . A center is nice for clearly defined voices on movies . . . A sub gives a little extra oomph in the low range. Since your speakers are a little lacking, (no offense but 6 1/2" woofers is not going to go near low enough), I have never heard those Sony speakers, though . . . I'd definately buy a sub of at least 10".

CenterForYou
Unregistered guest
I must disagree with the anonymous1, I say center channel. It adds so much more clarity.

Bronze Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 95
Sub. Unless you are watching movies, a center adds very little. Based on your music, game ratio, a sub would be the way to go.

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 82
Greetings ARG!

I have a friend with those sony's and they sound pretty good and should work well with your setup.

I think I would be inclined to go with the sub, especially because it would add a lot of ooomph to the gaming experience,since that is your primary use.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us