Rel stygian?

Bronze Member
Username: Gover_1

Post Number: 20
hi,am looking for information on this sub, any good? frequency response? how well would it intergrate with a pait of ker ref 104ab speakers,and quad amps, cheers for your help, mark

Bronze Member
Username: Valeem

Post Number: 94
Hi Mark,

How's your NAD sounding with your Quad/Kef's?

Concerning the sub there is still some info on the REL Stygian subwoofer on the net. If you do a google search you will find something to read. Here is a couple of links.

http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Boardwalk/3455/sbwoofer.htm

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/articles/frame.html?http://www.homecinemachoice. com/articles/installations/200109_install.shtml

Also do a search at avforums (UK) as unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any info on it at ecoustics. You would be wise to engage member "Tons of Fun" as he seems to have one at his work place.

http://www.avforums.com/

There's currently one on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3275%26item%3D5700500452&rd =1%26

Best of luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Oh! I forgot to ask how low do your Kef's go? If they can do 30-40hz then a sub for music may not really be necessary as the bass on music tracks doesn't really go lower than this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
hi the nad/ kef / quads is working quite well, only problem is having to re-wire the preamps, as i prefer the quad 34 to the nad pre amp for music, will eventually just get a pre amp selector box, they seem quite rare though have seen 1 or 2, any recomendations?, the kefs go down to 40hz, but i am planning to get a sub woofer in order to take the strain off of the kefs for films, this should then also improve the midrange, as the amps, speakers and wiring will be straining less?( or so the theory goes), however i am concious that there is little point doing this unless i can source a sub of decent quality, so far, im looking at rel subs and the possibility of the gale 1090w, have singled these out as they go all the way down to 20hz, anyone got any more recomendations? thanks, mark, p.s i also listen to a lot of music dvd's, so the subs will be being used for music in those cases, cheers , mark

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
I must admit I'm not too sure what you're doing with the preamps. Do you mean that you have an NAD receiver now? If so I would imagine a dedicated stereo preamp would indeed work better than a do-it-all receiver preamp. Sorry never used/needed a selector box.

What's your budget for the sub? I think if you're looking at good movies/music sub then I don't think you can beat a used REL especially for definition.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
hi, is a bit complex with the preamps, the nad is used largely as a standalone home cinema system, however as i would need to switch the speaker wires from amp to amp ( and due to my hi-fi cabinet making htis nex to impossible) , and as i actually prefer the sound of the 306 for music dvds i have the pre-out on the nad connected to the 306 most of the time. however i prefer the 34 preamp for music, as its more musical, so i seem to be often switching the two preamps (rewiring the interconnect), not the end of the world but not ideal

QUESTION 2
ok, so i missed out on the rel stygian, however i now have an portunity to get a rel storm, what do people think to this sub, most of the reviews i can find are for the mark 3 , however the model i have been offered is the model one, anyone know anything as i can find very little, cheers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
Hi Mark,

Sorry you missed the Stygian, it seemed like a good sub for the money.

Any chance of you trying/hearing the Storm before you buy it? If not then I think if you buy it and decide not to keep it you won't have any difficulty selling it on with very little, if any loss (depending on what you paid for it).

I can see from pictures that it has LFE RCA inputs and also two Neutrik connectors (can't see if they are both inputs or if one is an output). If it has the right connections for your system (you mentioned putting the sub between the preamp and amp on the other forum - I'm still not sure about this!)then I think it's worth a punt at a good price. I can't remember a REL ever getting a bad review!

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?subwactv&1089554621&class&3&4&

Also with the budget you mentioned on the other forum a used REL Strata III (and other used REL subs) will come inside your limit.

Will you list your system so I can better understand how you are having to wire everything up?

Congrats on your system so far. I can see what excellent equipment can be had by looking into the used market. I intend to do the same with some of the components when I eventually get round to upgrading.

BTW you will not be putting any strain on your speakers etc. by not adding a sub (certainly not on the wires). The only time you will be straining your speakers/amps is when listening at high volume AFAIK.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
hiya, think i can get this sub for £100, so i think i will take the plunge, if its no good then i can probably just sell it on as you say, and save up for something else my full system. the coment on the other forum was that idealy i could connect it between the pre amp and power amp (as you can do with the boston accoustics pv 1000) and therfore perhaps take the strain off the amp a little bit (there seems to be a speaker protection cut out on the 306 which is quite sensitive, although we are talking at fairly reasonable volume) the storm wont do this, it will have to connect either to lfe output on the nad, or to the speaker out put, (either on nad or quad), for the money im just ging to give this a go, if it sounds anything like my friends eltax( which he thinks is awsome) then ill just sell it , wont be the end of the world, cheers, mark

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
Let us know how you get on with the REL. I'm pretty sure it will be considerably better than the Eltax. 100 quid seems very reasonable. If you don't like it I'm sure you can sell it on for more than what you paid.

If only we could get one of these at such a low price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3275&item=5702042796&rd=1 &ssPageName=WDVW

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
Oh.....I forgot to add that depending on the Storm's condition (cabinet, drive unit and amp) will you be able to realise more than what you paid.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
got through to the seller today (hes been away) hes going to get a box this week, then ill arange a courrier for next week, any ideas for a good courier as far as reliability and care are concerned, so far am considering citylink and parcel force (its 30kg so some of the cheep couriers wont take it) will keep you all posted on its arrival and my impressions , should be a very good sub for music dvds and a reasonable sub for films, should do the job nicely for the price, and if not its no financial disaster, thanks valeem, mark

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
Has the seller confirmed it's in good working order?

I would personally use one of the larger courier firms as they seem to give prompt and more hassle free payouts should your parcel go missing or if the goods are damaged in transport. Make sure you specify a good level of insurance to cover the cost of replacement or I think more importantly repair.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a perfect courier company in the UK. They all seem to make mistakes far too frequently (from my own experiance and that reported by others). If I were you I'd choose one of the couriers you have listed, insure the item adequately and get the seller to package it well. It's as much as you can do!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
hi, yep seller says all is in perfect working condition, and was honest enough to correct me when i asked if it was in perfect condition, he admitted there was a few scratches, but this does not bother me, it is a speaker not a piece of furniture, mum might be a little less pleased, she cant see how i can get another speaker into my room , but shell just have to live with it, should get it late next week/ early the week after, cheers, mark
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us