Best Box sub for Klipsch / Elite system?? -- SVS, HSU, Rocket, Velodyne, Sunfire, Klipsch???

DDW
Unregistered guest
I am looking for a good quality subwoofer.
I will be using the sub for HT about 80% and for music about 20%.
However, my priorities for sound are about reverse of that.
I would much rather have a good musical bass for my music first and deep bass for movies second. Nothing sloppy.

My system currently consists of an Elite 54 receiver and Klipsch:
Front: 2 @ RF-3
Center: 1 @ RC-3
Rears: 2 @ RB-3

I also have some RS-3's for the sides if I want 7.1.
But, I am undecided on how that will work because of the size of my room.

My room is about 13'w x 14'd x 8'h so not very big.
I have wood floors.
This room does open up through a 5' wide door on two sides to a dining room and a foyer. So, not terribly enclosed.

I have read many of the threads about sub-woofers. Enough to be thoroughly confused!!!

There seem to be a lot of strong opinions about subwoofers.

Hopefully, I can get some good advice that is Applicable to my situation and needs.

SVS, HSU, Velodyne, Rocket and Sunfire all seem to have pretty good references.

The Klipsch RSW-10 is fairly highly rated on other sights and is the matching sub-woofer for my system. It normally retails for $1000, but I have seen it for $660.

I would like to keep my price at $500 - $700 if reasonably possible.

Quality bass is what I am hoping for!

Any advice would be appreciated.

If you recommend a brand, which model?

Thanks.

Anonymous

DDW, I have the Klipsch system 3 series also with a Harmon Kardon receiver and sunfire sub. I recommend this sub for the power and size. It seems you have a space problem, so you son't want to use all of your excess space for a sub. I have the 11"x11"x11" size one. It's awesome and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I heard the Klipsch reference series sub, but it doesn't even touch the sunfire, even though it does put out quite a bit of power. Hope this helps.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 280
I use a Hsu STF-3 in a room 11'x30'x8', with Klipsch La Scala main speakers. The sub has added fantastic musical bass to the music (which didn't have low bass and needed a sub) and rocks for movies.

DDW
Unregistered guest
With a 13' x 13' x 8' room, I was thinking that a 10" might be better than a 12".
Is it better to have a 10" in that size room?
Would a 12" be over-powering and/or too "boomy"?
Would a 10" be more "musical"?

Anonymous: Which Klipsch reference sub did you hear? There are apparently many. RSW, KSW, RW, others???
I have read that the KSW is not too good. The RSW is supposed to be very good by some reviewers. I haven't heard much about the RW.

Still trying to find out more about the Klipsch and how it might compare to the HSU, Rocket and the Sunfire, others?

Starting to narrow my focus.

Thanks for the help so far.

Any more would be appreciated.

DDW
Unregistered guest
With a 13' x 13' x 8' room, I was thinking that a 10" might be better than a 12".
Is it better to have a 10" in that size room?
Would a 12" be over-powering and/or too "boomy"?
Would a 10" be more "musical"?

Anonymous: Which Klipsch reference sub did you hear? There are apparently many. RSW, KSW, RW, others???
I have read that the KSW is not too good. The RSW is supposed to be very good by some reviewers. I haven't heard much about the RW.

Still trying to find out more about the Klipsch and how it might compare to the HSU, Rocket and the Sunfire, others?

Starting to narrow my focus.

Thanks for the help so far.

Any more would be appreciated.

Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 8
I think this post would help me out as well. I've been leaning toward the klipsch rsw12 (have rf35 fronts) in a room about 15x18 ish. Was very impressed by the rsw12, could get it for about a grand. Not sure if i should audition other subs. I'm guessing it's too big for my room, but want to have the ability to go to a bigger room without wishing i had a bigger sub. Any suggestions or does it sound like i'm on the right track?

Bronze Member
Username: Vgtvidz

Post Number: 15
Hey Chris, 1000$ Us or CDN? because the RSW-12 can be found at 900$ CDN very easily and I can even get it for 650$ CDN, so 1000$ US would be overpriced in my opinion!

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 284
Chris is in Michigan, so assume US$. Also, I'm guessing you saw the RW-12 for that price, not the more expensive RSW-12. Am I right?

Bronze Member
Username: Vgtvidz

Post Number: 16
My bad... yeah you're right Peter, its the RW-12

Michigan

Post Number: 9
Going tomorrow to probably pick up the RSW-12. I'll post and let you know how it sounds in my room. Hopefully it will be best sub for $, but i guess anything is better then my 8" 150watt yahama sub

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 285
So Chris, how did the RSW-12 work out?

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 11
Unfortunately the did not have rsw12 in stock. So I ordered it, just found out yesterday that there is some issue with the rsw12. Don't know what the deal is, so they are giving me the rsw15 for the same price. Should get it next wed. Now I just have to find room in my house for that monster.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us