2nd Zone-NAD question

Username: Wilky

Post Number: 7
Hello all, I am interested in upgrading my receiver for my basement (or as my wife calls it, my cave). I want to have second zone capabiliities, allowing me to drive 2 speakers that I will install on my deck. I'm especially interested in the NAD receiver and want to know which model will allow that option without a seperate amp. I was assuming that I need 7.1, 5.1 for the main room and the other 2 for the deck. I read a previous thread that stated the NAD 773 was the only model that allows that, but I thought the 753 also offers the same, but with a little less power. I don't need anymore power than the 753 and would like to save the money here, and redirect it to my upgraded speakers. Any direction and insight on this question will be greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Johnny

Post Number: 70
Jeff,

Unfortunately, none of the NAD receivers has a self-powered second zone capability. You would need a separate amp for any of them. All of them have only A/B speaker switching...so you could put a second set of speakers on the deck, but it wouldn't be a true "second zone" as you could not independantly control the source, volume, etc. You could get an NAD stereo amp for around $300...or you could search for a refurb somewhere. That would be my suggestion...this would allow you to have true 7.1 power in your main listening room as well.

Post Number: 10
Thanks Johnny. That is unfortunate. I guess its one of the bells and whistles not included, unlike some of the others receivers I've sampled. I'm so impressed by the NAD, I think I'll get the amp to drive the outdoor pair of speakers, at least I'll have a killer sound outside as well. Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 152
Jeff:

Johnny is misinformed. The new NAD receivers have multi-zone self-powered capability. I am getting the T753 which not only has A+B, but also comes with a second zone remote (the ZR-2, perfect for the outside) to control the volume level and source. Your only constraint when running a self-powered second zone is that both the A speakers and the B speakers must have an 8 ohm impedence rating. I know the T763 and T773 also has this capability.

Username: Goose

Post Number: 3
I would hate to say that Hawk is wrong ... but I think that he is, and Johnny is right. I did look into this myself recently, and if you read the NAD site what is actually says is "Multi-Source 2nd zone A/V pre-out with independent source and volume" for the T753, T763, and T773. The zone 2 remote just controls source and volume fed these pre-outs (labelled "MS OUT" on the back) - you need a separate stereo power amp connected here to drive the zone 2 speakers. The A/B switching just gives you zone 1 on both sets of speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thank you Hawk & Goose for your imput. So, the NAD 753 has "Multi-Source 2nd zone" capabilities, but it still needs to be driven by an Amp. I guess I'll start looking into an amp. Do you have any suggestions on an amp ($200-$400 range) that would serve the purpose of driving my outdoor deck speakers?
On a side note I listened to the NAD and a pair of Triangle Antal speakers (had never heard of them before) and was blown away! I think the NAD will bring out the best of most speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
Goose:

Maybe I did misunderstand--I thought the second zone could be driven by the "B" outputs and controlled by the ZR-2 remote, but from what you are saying, I have misread what this product does. If so, I apologize for giving the wrong info. In any event, I expect to know definitively next week when I expect to get my 753. Thanks for your input.

Jeff:

As for a second amp, there are several good ones available in your price range. My first choice is the B&K 55.2, which you can get for about $360 (call Kief's to confirm the price--www.kiefs.com). 55 wpc x 2 and has beautiful sounding MOSFET outputs. Built like a tank, too. Another very good choice is the Adcom GFA-5300, available for $369 from www.elegantaudiovideo.com. Finally, if you are on a really tight budget, you might be able to use the Parasound Zamp, available for $249 from Audio Advisor (audioadvisor.com). Only rated at 30 wpc into 8 ohms, but it sounds like much more power. You might also find a Cambridge 500 power amp which went for something like $350 from Cambridge dealers. I cannot find any sources over the internet right now--check with your local Cambridge dealer.

On another note, you liked the Triangle Antals? I have not heard of them, but you pique my interest with your high praise. I am still searching for the right speaker for my new NAD and I have not heard these. Do you have a website address? Thanks for the tip!

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
Jeff:

Oops. Forgot to list another good amp. ATI AT602. MSRP is $499, but again I think you can get one from Kiefs for about $400.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks for the amp recomondations Hawk. I will look into each of them, especially the B&K.

Triangle is a French speaker, they are the third largest speaker manufacturer in France. I read that they design and assemble all of their own drivers.They have an "expressive" sound quality if that makes sense. Great clarity and full mid & good bass extension. They are easy to drive also. The guy had maggies and they were nice too, but I was really impressed with the Triangle speaker. We added a sub and it filled a small void in the bass that I was listening for.

I've linked you to the main site and the link to the speaker I heard (Espace line; Antal model).

link to "Antal":

http://www.triangle-fr.com/gammes-2003/antal-202-gb.htm

link to main web site:

http://www.triangle-fr.com/welcome-2002.htm

I hope there is a retailer in your area that carries the Triangle Antal, I'd love to get your impression of this speaker! Thanks again.

Username: Windsurfnut

Post Number: 1
The T773 will power the second zone. You simply redirect the 2nd zone output to the unused 7.1 channels (surround back l/r) inputs and use those channels. This assums that you have a 5.1 main system. The second zone will only work if you set the configuration to 5.0/2.0 in the OSD menu.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Amanda,

I know that all of this is confusing...heck, I bought one of the darn things, read the manual cover to cover MANY times, read this forum regularly, and I still made the same mistake a few weeks ago (and was called on it). I was so excited when I got my receiver because I thought it already had the second zone capability on its own, but unfortunately I was mistaken. The only way to get a true second zone effect (i.e. where the volume, source, etc. is totally independant of the main zone) is to use a second amplifier. That is true of all of NAD's models (except the 743 which has no second zone capability as I understand it)...the 753, 763, and 773. I pulled the 773's owners manual off the internet just to be sure. I will admit that it is confusing. This quote comes from the NAD website "More elaborate systems can also be created using the Multi-Source output to add additional amplifiers and speakers with the added benefit of independent source selection and volume control". Similarly from the 773 owners manual "The T773 is equipped with a full second Zone control through the ZR-2 remote and the use of video and pre-amp level audio outputs". The "pre-amp level outputs" is what signifies that you need another amplifier to power the second zone. I don't know why the manual is written in this manner...why don't they just say (for all of us non-audiophiles out there) "to get the full second zone control, you need another amplifier"? It seems as though that would be much easier to understand and cause much less confusion. But you know what they say..."you can wish in one hand and...."

I am in no way trying to "show you up" here, and I really hope that you don't take it that way. I just want to clarify a very consufing situation for anyone who is thinking of buying or has already bought an NAD...who knows...it may or may not be a deal breaker. I know I could have used the same information before I made a fool out of myself posting otherwise.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Amanda,

I know that all of this is confusing...heck, I bought one of the darn things, read the manual cover to cover MANY times, read this forum regularly, and I still made the same mistake a few weeks ago (and was called on it). I was so excited when I got my receiver because I thought it already had the second zone capability on its own, but unfortunately I was mistaken. The only way to get a true second zone effect (i.e. where the volume, source, etc. is totally independant of the main zone) is to use a second amplifier. That is true of all of NAD's models (except the 743 which has no second zone capability as I understand it)...the 753, 763, and 773. I pulled the 773's owners manual off the internet just to be sure. I will admit that it is confusing. This quote comes from the NAD website "More elaborate systems can also be created using the Multi-Source output to add additional amplifiers and speakers with the added benefit of independent source selection and volume control". Similarly from the 773 owners manual "The T773 is equipped with a full second Zone control through the ZR-2 remote and the use of video and pre-amp level audio outputs". The "pre-amp level outputs" is what signifies that you need another amplifier to power the second zone. I don't know why the manual is written in this manner...why don't they just say (for all of us non-audiophiles out there) "to get the full second zone control, you need another amplifier"? It seems as though that would be much easier to understand and cause much less confusion. But you know what they say..."you can wish in one hand and...."

I am in no way trying to "show you up" here, and I really hope that you don't take it that way. I just want to clarify a very consufing situation for anyone who is thinking of buying or has already bought an NAD...who knows...it may or may not be a deal breaker. I know I could have used the same information before I made a fool out of myself posting false information.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Sorry for the double post...guess I didn't hit the "stop" button fast enough.

Username: Sjordan872

Post Number: 5
FYI from the NAD site about 2nd zone with the 753

With the T 753, NAD has made it easy to add more speakers for listening to music in additional rooms or "zones". A second pair of speakers can simply be added to the front channel amplifiers and switched on or off from the remote control or front panel switch. More elaborate systems can also be created using the Multi-Source output to add additional amplifiers and speakers with the added benefit of independent source selection and volume control. A separate second zone remote is included. There are also 12V triggers to automatically switch remote zone amplifiers on and off.
Thoughtful features like discrete On and Off codes, direct access to inputs and FM station presets facilitates the integration of the T 753 into elaborate remote control systems.

Username: Sjordan872

Post Number: 6
Same goes for the 763 and 773. All need an additional amp for a true "powered zone 2."

Post Number: 4
I think I see what Amanda is saying. Take the MS OUT, which is controlled by the Zone 2 remote, and plug it into the MAIN IN for the surround back speakers, and voila, you have self-powered zone 2 capability, with 5.1 on zone 1 and stereo on zone 2. Only works on the T773, as the others don't have enough MAIN IN channels.

So the answer to the original poster is that yes, the T773 will do it. Right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Hmmm, sounds interesting, sounds like a good theory...would be interesting to know if anyone has tried that. This is starting to get a bit to technical for me. I read through the manual, and it does not mention this possiblity...but I have already discussed the shortcomings of this manual.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I think I'll get the 753 and get one of the amps that Hawk suggested for around $350. I think that will be more economical than buying the 773.

Rubberband Man
Unregistered guest
I've got the 773 on order. From my reading and understanding the 773 can do 5.1 in two zones but to do this you'd need an external amp. This is what "more elaborate systems can be created" means. The 773 can independantly power a 7.1 setup in zone 1 OR a 5.1 setup in zone 1 and a stereo setup in zone 2. If you want to go 5.1 in zone 2 as well as zone 1, start buying amps. Otherwise, the 773 is all you need. FWIW, the NAD website says the 773 does 7x110 continuous power output. I don't see why they would say this if you need an amp to get all 7.1 powered.

I'll register, I'm just lazy. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
> From my reading and understanding the 773 can
> do 5.1 in two zones but to do this you'd need
> an external amp. This is what "more elaborate
> systems can be created" means.

You probably know more about the T773 than I do, but be aware that the phrase "more elaborate systems can be created" is used for the T753 and T763 too.

> FWIW, the NAD website says the 773 does 7x110
> continuous power output. I don't see why they
> would say this if you need an amp to get all
> 7.1 powered.

The issue here is whether some channels can be reassigned to other zones. It appears that this can be done by patching the MS OUT to the MAIN IN.

Looking at the T773 manual, I only see a composite video out and stereo audio outs for the second zone. Where do you hook-up the 5.1 channels for the second zone?

yoyoc
Unregistered guest
I've been living with a NAD T773 for the last three weeks, so here's the deal.

The NAD receivers with second zone have the following capabilities:

Zone 1 can be used as powered 5.1 or 7.1( T773). However if the second zone is to be activated the main zone will only work in 5.1 mode. The second zone has independant video and audio capabilities with remote volume control, but IS NOT AMPLIFIED.

Speaker B are amplified but will sound the same as the main speakers in the main zone. In addition, when speaker B are selected, the main zone will automatically and unavoidably revert to stereo mode until the speaker B are deactivated again.

If a second pair of speakers ( and video for that matter)with independent source and volume is desired an additionalamplifier is needed if 7.1 in the main zone is desired to be retained. If 5.1 is all that is needed in the main zone, the second zone preout can be connected to the back speakers amps ( T773).

This trick with the rear amp works. I am amplifying my passive sub with the rear amps as I only use 5.1 in my main zone.

The T763 and T753 do not have 2 less channels than the T773 I have so the use of an additional amp is mandatory. I think the use of the second zone is preff. to the use of B speaker for the intended use as it will allow independent volume control as well as allowing video selection.

Think of having a Football finals party with a large screen and loud sound at the second amplified zone. Cool!

There it is. So you can actually have three pairs of main speakers sounding from the T 753 T763 or T773 receivers.

yoyoc
Unregistered guest
the second zone is only stereo plus composite video. No 5.1 audio is available from there.

yoyoc

Bronze Member
Username: Larsa

Post Number: 20
So what I am wondering is - while we're on the topic of multi-zone setups - what do people use for IR connectivity from the other zones?

I want to feed IR signals from my extra zones to the receiver by way of wire to "IR in" on the back panel (I don't want any IR-repeater/resenders having to be set up in IR-range from the receiver in the main zone). What kind of equipment should I get for setting up something for that?

yoyoc
Unregistered guest
The T series have a second remote zr2, I believe, that will control the functions for the second zone.

However. you will need an IR receiver kit to hook it up. I would recomend zantec dinky link its about $70 and is so small it will be unobtrusive. Another option is to purchase something like HTR 800 remote wich is RF with an IR interphase for upto 5 or 6 components. However that will set you back about $500.00

I think dinky link is a bettre option.

yoyoc
Unregistered guest
One more thing.

T773, T763 and T753 have a software upgrade and control port.

To use it, one downloads an interface software and installs it in the computer, after that one connects the receiver to the PC via a male to female RS232 cable. The software detects the receiver and its setings. Actually this is great for the initial setup as it allows to see all options without getting into menus.

In the Help menu of the interfase one can perform a software upgrade check. If a new version in online it will be downloaded. According to the interface the current version for the T773 is 1.26

yoyoc
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us