5.1 Fiber Optic surround sound?

Talak Halon
Unregistered guest
I'm using a hometheater surroundsound reciever on my computer for DVD's and games. I have to convert the computer's "single wire, dual channel" cable in to a "standard coaxial audio cable." Then my 5.1 reciever distributes the sound into the differnet chanels. And i'm afraid that my sound card isn't outputting true surround sound, i think it's only outputting those 2 channels (left and right). I was wondering if i get a new soundcard with a fiberoptic output, would the fiberoptic cable support all 5.1 channels?

Anonymous

i have creative audigy2 usb sound card...
the optical output is 2 channels when the sound card processes the audio track... but you can set the sound card to "SPDIF Passthrough (Dolby Digital / DTS Digital Out)" and use an external decoder...

When i do this i'm not sure if the reciever is really getting 5.1 or not.

But it also has analog outputs for computer speakers (7.1)- 1 for front L/R, 1 for rears L/R, 1 for sides L/R, and 1 for center/subwoofer

I was thinking of 'converting them' to RCA and conecting the RCA plugs into the analog 5.1 input (6 RCA jacks labeled "5.1 Inputs")on the reciever.
I'm not sure if it will work...
since each output on the sound card carries 2 chanels it will be messy

even if it works it won't sound great, but good enough for games
ps dvd player are not that expencive
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us