Speaker choice??

Anonymous

I have a Marantz receiver (5400). I need to buy my speakers from a dealer where the brands available are B & W, Def Technology, or Polk. I want to spend about $1000-$1500 on the speakers. I plan to get a sub elsewhere, in about the $300 range. Any suggestions on which of these speaker companies I should lean towards or exactly which model?

To be honest, I fancy the Aperion Intimus 5.1 off the internet. But I goofed and have store credit (didn't pay attention to the no return policy) at this particular dealer.

Stupid but stuck.

Anonymous

Oh. Should I say that music is important to me, as well as home theater. There. That being said, hopefully awaiting a response....

Anonymous

P.S. Does 13 ft ceilings and small rooms but an open floor plan totally f*ck up the HT experience in any event?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 179
I like the B+Ws. In particular, I like the DM303s and DM309s (if your dealer has them). The DM309s are a floor standing speaker excellent for mains and the 303s are good surrounds. Don't remember the model number for the matching center, but it is pretty good, too. Should be a great match with the Marantz and they are well withing your budget.

Anonymous

Thanks! BTW as a general rule, if there is such a thing, what percentage of your speaker cost should be spent on your receiver? I am having such a hard time with this -- if a $600 range receiver is appropriately paired with a simple set of surrounds, center channel, and sub totaling $1500?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 185
I have never liked that rule of thumb. It used to mean something when it was just stereo and you were only buying a pair of speakers, but HT has changed that--it is far more complicated.

Let me just say that the speakers I suggested should run you about $1K (before sub) and that is very reasonable for your receiver. Powered subs really are a matter of taste, so I don't include them in the equation.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us