Please help me to choose if nad c352 is good for me

Bronze Member
Username: Amir

Post Number: 30
I bought the cambridge audio 640a azur (before 2 weeks ) and i want to return it to the shop and get the NAD C352?!
-------------------------------------------------
in the Cambridge audio azur 640a i am hearing the sound quite well , but the middle vocals are not prominent and there isn't a good nature balance sound (when the Direct botton is in on) .

i cant swiching the trible button to low level.
and when i swich on the volume bottun just a little a hearing a huge sound ...
this amp doesnt suit to rock music...i think so.
my qustion is , if i will buy the nad c352 will i be notice to the differences?
i need an answer from someone who already heard the two amplifiers!?
and by the way, i bought this amp. cause i saw the excelent Specifications :
in azur 640a :
0.01% THD @ 20Hz - 20kHz
Frequency Response: 5Hz to 50kHz +/- 1dB
and in NAD C352 it's less impresive detailes:
Rated distortion (THD 20Hz-20kHz) 0.03%
Frequency response 20Hz-20kHz ±0.3dB
thank you.
amir

Bronze Member
Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 99
I can't really help you outright on those exact models, Amir, but I can say this:

I've compared the cheaper end of these products myself (I use both Cambridge Audio and NAD)and have found that even at this level, there is definitely something about the NAD which treats Rock music with a little more justice than the Cambridge.

Bearing in mind that the NAD amps, of which I have two, are much older and less specced than the brand new Cambridge I bought. Probably by more than ten years, In fact.

My logic says try the NAD C352, simply because this should follow up through and into the modern amps, bringing the NAD on top for bass extension and midrange.

That said, the Cambridge seems to be fussy about it's speakers, more so than the NAD perhaps. It throws up detail which I think may surpass the NAD's ability (remember though, my NADs are really old and less powerful) - but only with more sensitive speakers. Yes, Cambridge are a little laid back - but with the right speakers, these products can really sing! It's as if the speakers are the key which unlock the midrange and stereo picture. I think this might be because it is a very finely balanced amp - that which you cannot get to is there - it just needs bringing out.

I'd say first audition various speakers with the Azur 'till you get what you're listening for. If it's a case of a straight swop between this and the C352, without having spend out on new speakers, then this might be the best option. If money is less of an object, then try some combinations.

At the end of the day, let your own ears decide. Not just take our word for it.

Oh, and do forget all those frequency range specs. That isn't music; it isn't even sound. Your ears will tell you everything you need to know.

Best of luck,

V

Anonymous

"by the way, i bought this amp. cause i saw the excelent Specifications :
in azur 640a :
0.01% THD @ 20Hz - 20kHz
Frequency Response: 5Hz to 50kHz +/- 1dB
and in NAD C352 it's less impresive detailes:
Rated distortion (THD 20Hz-20kHz) 0.03%
Frequency response 20Hz-20kHz ±0.3dB"

Please don't buy equipment for it's specification details. There is a good reason for this - especially with NAD equipment.

NAD is very conservative with their specifications on paper. They are, in my opinion, a very honest company who seem to be modest about what they produce - sometimes though, this can be a little misleading.

Those specs will tell you nothing about how good they actually sound. Let your ears be the judge. You can't compare equipment properly in this way - it is meant as a guide only.

ca_convert
Unregistered guest
I originally bought the 640a and whilst its undoubtedly good, i changed it for the 352 which simply rocks harder and faster. Its got massive clout, but is even more detailed than the Cambridge. Works very well with the CA 640c cdp.

Ignore the tech specs, even half decent stuff measures well these days. Pay attention to matching components in a system

Bronze Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 12
I was dissapointed with the c352 setup for my psb setup, I found what I wanted with h/k, who knew?
follow ca_ find a dealer who knows an audiophile and will let you try at home, my guy brings it here to set it up and listen! A high quality dealer wants to see and hear your set-up. More money in the long run, but an interested proffesional goes for miles.

Cheers

Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 4
I agree with James on that. Ive just finished reading the thread about white van man speaker scam which is proof positive if ever you needed it. Caveat Emptor has never been so appropriate.

Silver Member
Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 132
James,

What do you mean by 'PSB' setup, may I ask? Does this mean you are using it with your computer?

Yes, I have heard about dealers who bring the audition to your home. It's a lovely idea, of course - but I would have thought the economics of this more fitting to even higher-end setups. That's not to say that a NAD 352 or HK aren't Hi-End items, it's just that NAD, as I see them,originally aimed their amps at the audiophile on a smaller budget. They are, I think the most affordable design I've personally seen and the best value for money In my experience. I think at this level, you pretty much know you're getting a good product, without an intensive audition - if that's all you are buying that day. I think with the speaker choice, however, I'd love to get a dealer to bring them to me. It's a very hard decision to make in a shop, when there is perhaps a lot going on around you. You're more relaxed at home.

Regards,

V

Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 5
In the UK there are 3 choices for budget equipment:

1. Buy it without an audition on a recomendation for example

2. Buy it from a dealer with a decent listening room

3. Buy it with a say a 14 day trial period (such as Richer sounds) You can but as many bits of kits as u want but have to pay for them all initially)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us