Speaker suggestions $1000 to $2000

freemanzhu
Unregistered guest
I'm looking to spend $1000 to $2000 on a pair of floorstanding speakers. I listen almost exclusively to classical music, so I put a premium on neutrality and good imaging. Bass performance is important, but less so than the other two criteria. It looked like the PSB Stratus Silver i received very favorable reviews and offer what I'm looking for in speakers, but they are being discontinued. Anyone have other suggestions?

dd
Unregistered guest
I have a set of Vandersteens and think they are a terrific value and in your price range. Check out www.vandersteen.com

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 239
Monitor Audio Silver 6 or 8. With a warm receiever or amp are wonderful for classical.

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 74
Let me make a couple of different suggestions:

Look at Martin Logan (Mosaic or Scenario). Here are a couple of threads:

www.martinloganowners.com/forum/messages/3551.html

www.martinloganowners.com/forum/messages/3642.html

And a review of the Scenarios:

www.audiorevolution.com/equip/scenario/

Look at Phase Technology. Here is a thread:

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=386778476897fe1e9daed5b5b3bfabca&thread id=353531&highlight=phase+tech

Look at Magnepan:

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=386778476897fe1e9daed5b5b3bfabca&thread id=365455&highlight=Magnepan

There are lots of speakers with different sounds. I bought the Martin Logan Montage because of the price and it blew me away for the price point. Good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Scoobs

Post Number: 13
i'd give the polk LSi15's a serious listen. i have them on order when my house is finished being built in may. they retail for about $1700 for the pair. if you like a neutral sound for acoustical (classical) music, these might be a exceptional choice. the base isn't boomy, but very tight.

here is an excellent review of the speakers by Wes Philips of OnHiFi (plus they were the "OnHiFi's" co-product of the year in 2002 - link provided as well).

http://www.onhifi.com/product/polk_lsi15.htm

http://onhifi.com/product/2002_productsoftheyear.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us