Marantz and Paradigm???

Username: Jeffr

Oviedo, FL USA

Post Number: 1
I am new to the forum and to H/T. I need some help.

I plan to turn my living room (11.5 by 14.5) into a home-thater for audio and video. I currently have a 57" Hitachi tv and an XBox. I plan to get a universal disc player in the future. For now, I want a receiver and 5.1 speaker system. The one high-end dealer in my area (a long-established, reputable store) recommended the following equipment:

Marantz SR-7500 receiver
Paradign Monitor 7 - fronts
Paradigm CC-370 - center
Paradigm ADP-370 - rears
Paradigm PS-1000 - sub

The system sounds fine but I did not compare it with anything else. The dealer also carries Pioneer Elite receivers and Def Tech speakers.

All thoughts and opinions would be welcome!

Should I go with this system?

What about upgrading to the SR-8500 and/or the PS-1200? Is the sound/feature improvement worth the money?

What about traveling out of area (2-3 hours each way) to consider other brands? Is so, what?

Please help me out!
Thanks,

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1051
First of all that's an awfully small room for such a large tv unless the room configuration is such that you are at least 10 feet from the screen.
I like all four of the brands your dealer carries very much but I don't think I would match the Paradigm's with either Marantz or Elite. I would however like the idea of either receiver with the Def Tech's. Paradigm's are great speakers and the package they recommend is superb[love the 7's] but for my ears just not a great match with the receivers. If you liked what you heard then pay no attention to what me or anyone else tells you. I would urge you to checkout the Elite with Def Tech and see what you think. To me that's a great combination or consider the Paradigm's with another receiver like a Yamaha 1500 or 2500 or maybe a Denon 2805. Traveling 2-3 hours one way is a bit much and personally I won't do that.

Username: Littlericky

Springfield, VA USA

Post Number: 4
I have an older Yamaha stereo receiver (Model R-7) - I was thinking of getting Paradigm Monitors to run with that. Any idea how that might sound?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1052
Very nicely, IMO. Just how old is that receiver?

Springfield, VA USA

Post Number: 5
We got it new in like 1987-88. From what I've been reading on this board, the consensus view is that Yamahas are pretty bright sounding, although this one never struck me that way, particularly. Would that have something to do with why you think the Paradigms might be a good match?

I'm just starting to think in terms of getting new speakers - haven't actually bought speakers in like 30 years! Lots to learn.

Thanks for the input.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1054
The newer Yamaha's are not bright but a bit thin and your's is from the era that I felt were on the bright side and thus a very good match with Paradigm. Are you not also interested in a home theatre receiver? If so the new Yamaha's like the 1500 and 2500 are very much improved IMO and are also very good with Paradigm.

Springfield, VA USA

Post Number: 7
I've given some serious thought to setting up Home Theater but decided against it - at least for now. For one thing sound equipment, to me, is about music. We run our TVs through our sound systems, but only 'cause it's easy to do as an afterthought.

But the main reason is this: Home theater equipment needs to be strategically placed around the room with adequate seating in the sweet spot. You need to be able to devote a significant amount of space - likely an entire room to the whole layout and we don't have the available space. I regard it as a "do it right or don't do it at all" type of thing.

Just an opinion, of course, but I mention it because it makes me wonder whether everyone who invests in all that nice equipment is really getting the benefit from it.

Oviedo, FL USA

Post Number: 2
This is all very interesting but what about my original questions on this post? Help would still be appreciated. thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 87
I agree with elitefan's comments above.

The 7's are probably too big for your room. If you like the Paradigm sound, look at the Mini Monitors which sound find at about 8-10 feet listening distance.

Also, you could save some money and use Paradigm Atoms for the rears as they have the same drivers as Paradigms ADP 170 which is usually sold with the Mini's. (check out www.paradigm.ca to get specs.) I would get the PDR-12 sub.

My local high end audio botique used to match Marantz with Paradigm, but have started to recommend Denon more with the Paradigm. I prefer the sound of Denon with Paradigm over Marantz.

Oviedo, FL USA

Post Number: 3
My dealer does not carry Denon - just Marantz and Pioneer. What about the Def Tec speakers? Which ones would be recommended for my room? Should I go out of area to other dealers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1075
Look at the Def Tech PowerMonitors and the StudioMonitors. The DefTechs work well with either Elite or Marantz and either of the DefTech models will fill tour room easily as they have built in subs even in their small cabinets. I can't think you wouldn't be happy with them and either receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us