Is a Marantz sr5200 upgradeable?

Username: Symphonica

Post Number: 2
I can't for the life of me pinpoint what is wrong with the sound of my setup. The details....A Marantz SR 5200 6.1 90watt per channel receiver...a pair of Klipsh KM-6's , which are identical to KG 5.5's. The underlying problem is, a huge lack of mid bass. No matter how I tweak the receivers settings , there just is no mid bass to speak of and the result is absolutely punchless audio at any volume level. It sounds like I'm sitting here listening to a pair of computer speakers . The sound is that small! I've just about now ruled out the speakers having a problem...I talked with a Klipsch tech , and he told me about the capacitor on the crossover which, if anything, would be the single component that could account for the lack of mid bass. I replaced that, but still anemic, no mid bass sound. Bummer. The speakers were used , so I tested the internal wiring to make sure the polarities weren't swapped on the two 10" woofer leads by hooking up a AA battery and watching the cones both push out as they should..so that wasn't the problem. Earlier, I hooked up the speakers to an older Sony component receiver and heard the same lack of punch, so I figured the newer Marantz 5200 receiver would make things sound good, but no luck. I've tweaked everything I can think of. I listen to CD's, the tuner and DVD's ...both digitally with the DVD audio output and analog with the tuner and I've used Direct Mode to bypass any processing and still get this infuriating , small , bassless , punchless sound. I was hoping the combo of Marantz and Klipsh would kill for powerful low-mid punch, but now I'm wondering if these two just won't do what I'm hoping. To add insult to injury, I have to go listen to my friends several year old Onkyo integrated system that has phenomenal low end kick and puchiness even at low volumes, and she has no loudness control, although she keeps the bass knob at 3:00. The really odd thing I've just discovered today, is that with headphones plugged into the Marantz receiver, I still perceive this smallish, mid bass lacking sound, so I'm wondering if there are settings somewhere on the Marantz that I'm missing setting up correctly. Oh well, I will continue the search till I hear the sound I want!

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 86
Sym:

I have some really bad news for you--the Marantz x200 series was a dog. Nice sound, but it has no depth or power. Source of your problem is the power supply which is wholefully inadequate for its rating. You will find that marantz use to follow the industry practice of rating only two channels at a time, and they were tested under truly laboratory conditions. In the real world, your receiver would have trouble with mini speakers.

Sound & Vision magazine bench tested a Marantz 7200, the bigger brother of your receiver (Nov 2001 issue). Although rated at 105 wpc x 6, it was only capable of 29 wpc when driving 5 speakers. When driving 6 speakers, it was only capable of 27 wpc. Easily the worst bench test for power in the history of the magazine.

Now, a chastened Marantz has managed to improve things with their x300 and the current x400 series, but the x200s were not one of their better efforts (designed while they were still owned by Phillips).

There is no fix that I know of--since it bothers you that much, I would trade it in on a newer product. Given you have Klipsch speakers, I would highly recommend the Harman/Kardon 525, which One Call is closing out for $575. It has 70 wpc x 7, but these are honest power ratings that will meet or exceed the manufacuters specifications. It's laid back sound will be similar to the Marantz, thus making it a very good match for Klipsch speakers. And it has a monster of a power supply--you will not believe the bass it can put out. If you want punch, this is the receiver for you.

Good luck!

Username: Symphonica

Post Number: 3
Hawk:

Thanks for the reply. Interesting....what I'm wondering if that's the case, that the power supply is insufficient to produce good mid-bass, is if it would sound better if I used an external power amp? Right now, I only have the two front left and right Klipsch speakers and have the receiver setup with only those two active( although on some DVD concerts using digital audio output the sound tries to playback using 5.1 speaker output, ((and boy does it ever take a volume hit compared to the usual two channels!))...anyways, I really only wanted the receiver for 6.1 preamp level output, as I eventually want to add external amps...maybe even Marantz's monoblock MA-500's (and good, loud, clear 2 channel audio is of highest importance), and the marantz has 6 channel preamp level outputs...I think I should at least audition an external amp and listen to the results before I abandon ship with the 5200, what do you think?

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 102
Symphonica:

I absolutely agree. I should have suggested that option because it will work very well with a good amp. I do believe the Marantz has a good pre/pro section and is worthy of continued use in that role. Additionally, you do not necessarily need to get a five channel external amp, either. You could probably make do with a good two or three channel amp to power the fronts mains (and center if three channel). I have recommended both NAD and B&K which make excellent external amps. NAD has the C270 (120 wpc x 2), which Saturday Audio is selling for $399 right now--that is a real bargain. Another good choice may be the B&K 125.3 (125 wpc x 3) which I have seen for under $700. Doing this would allow your internal amps to have more power for the channels they are driving. B&K also makes the 125.5, a five channel amp, but it will cost about $1K, which may be a little bit too much for you--I don't know.

For a good five channel amp, consider the Adcom 7605 (125 x 5), which has a very nice warm sound that would be a great combo with your Klipsch. It is widely available for about $795. Another good choice would be a Rotel RMB 1066, a six channel power amp that is rated at a mere 60 wpc, but you will be shocked at how much louder it is than your Marantz. I would love to suggest an Outlaw amp, but the only one under $1K is the 7100 and it is rather cool and a tad bright sounding--not a good combo with your Klipsch speakers. Other good deals I have seen on the web, like for Parasound or Aragon amps at very reasonable prices have been snapped up, so I don't have as many cool options as I normally do. I would advise you to stay away from the mainstream brands that are known more for their receivers--they typically make mediocre amps. Look more into the specialty amp makers like those mentioned above. You may also wish to check out what may be available on eBay.

Good luck!

Eagle
Unregistered guest
Sym,

I have had a very similar experience with my 7200. Good musical reproduction, but no excitement. I am also considering the purchase of a 2-channel amp. Tried a Rotel at around 100 wpc, as well as a similar NAD (forgot the exact models - it has been a few months) - no significant improvement, just a tad more musicality. Right now, I am thinking of (saving for) a bolder move - Bryston, or something in that range. Which will naturally lead me to getting higher end speakers (currently running PSB Image 4Ts as fronts - maybe will look at PSB Stratus Gold). And, before I know it, I will be well into the 4-digit range... I do not know about you, but I opted for the Marantz because of the good reviews on its "universality" - the best of both worlds - music, and home theatre. And the good value for the money. I believe it still is a pretty decent system. Not enough to satisfy my musical needs, though...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us