YAMAHA RX-V992

Username: Drevil

Post Number: 1
Looking to start my home theatre/music system (50/50) on a budget. After lots of research (and realizing I should spend more than what I wanted too...) I found this receiver on ebay...and bonus - it is in the same city as I am here in Ontario (no shipping!). Anyone have any experience with it? From what I've read it has 5.1 capability (all I need for now I think) and I can hook up my turntable to it as well. The next step will be speakers...but first - any thoughts on this receiver? (It is going for about $200 US.)

Thanks

Stevie Z.
Unregistered guest
Sean:

I got a hellatious deal on a perfect condition (cosmetically and functionally) RX-V992 via eBay about a year ago. I paid $130 for the receiver, the remote, and even the original box. I hooked it up to my existing home theater speakers, B&W, and the sound was incredible! I would describe it as extremely detailed...and the soundstage was huge! Of course, I'm sure my speakers didn't hurt the sound at all (I love my B&W's!).

As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with a 992 at that price. The only thing I don't like about the receiver is the lack of a 6-channel input. Therefore, you cannot upgrade the receiver with say a DTS processor (since it does not have DTS...it has only Dolby Digital). Other than that though, it's a heck of a receiver. You can't go wrong with Yamaha. In any case, good luck with your purchase!

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1024
The 992 was the first dolby digital receiver I ever bought. Took it back the next day. Just really lousy, very bright and thin and a awful remote. Couldn't stand to listen to music through it at all. Yamaha has come light years since that receiver, thankfully.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us