Marantz SR7400 powerfull enough to...........

Unregistered guest
Can somebody let me know if the Marantz SR7400 is powerfull enough to handle below speaker set:

4x B&W DM-603 S3.
1x B&W LCR-600.
1x B&W ASW650.

Thanks,

Johan

My Rantz
Unregistered guest
Without a doubt - and if anything like the SR7300 will sound great!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 149
More importantly, how big is your room?

Unregistered guest
Hawk,

I've an "L" shaped room but the listening spot is
6 x 4 meter (19,6 x 13 foot).

Also I like to mention although I do not know if this important but we have a wooden floor (parket).

Regards,

Johan

Username: Sulfur

Post Number: 3
I have a 7300ose with:

603 S3 Fronts
601 S3 Rears
LCR600 Center
Polk PSW250 Sub (cheap & I can't have too much bass in my apt anyways)

My apartment's living/dining area is 21' x 13', and I have NEVER EVER gone louder than -25db in stereo or -20db in DTS ES/EX mode. ie otherwise I'm sure neighbours would come knocking on my door.

You will be very happy with that setup. :P

Anthony.

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
Johan:

Those are all important facts, expecially the wood parquet floor, which is very reflective of sound.

I think that system should work very well. I do think that Marantz has come a long way in terms of their power and I have no doubt now that a 7400 should have plenty of power to properly drive your B+W speakers. In short, that should be a very good system, and it should provide you with many years of enjoyment.

After you get your system up and running, let us know how it is working for you! Good luck!

Unregistered guest
Hawk,

I'm planning to buy the set in March so as soon as I've bought it and set it up I will let you know mine experience in this post.

But for now I've two other questions which hopefully you or somebody else can answer.

1) The rear speakers will be placed 2,5 meters (100") behind me, will this give any problems?
2) Is it worth the extra money to buy the Rotel RSX-1055 or can I better buy the Marantz SR7400 because this one is having the latest specs and updates.

The Marantz SR7400 is costing in the Netherlands $1260 and the Rotel I can buy know for $1890, this is because the new RSX-1056 is coming out soon. (normaly it was costing $2521 overhere)

Thanks,

Johan

Unregistered guest
Nobody!!!

My Rantz
Unregistered guest
Johan

My room is 24 X 21 ft although set up is 24 x 13 ft. I have Marantz SR7300 and front and rears approximately 3 to 3.5 mts from listening postion. Heaps of sound with plenty to spare. The sound of the SR7300 is excellent in movies and music. I haven't heard the Rotel (expert for good reports) but the sr 7400 would be an excellent choice with your speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
Johan:

Sorry I missed your previous post.

In answer to your questions:

1. The distance of the surround speakers from you is not significant, IMO. I do not forsee any problems.

2. Both the Marantz and the Rotel are very fine receivers. Now, I have not yet heard the 7400, but it is very likely just like the 7300, which I have heard numerous times (I have heard the Rotel several times as well). The Rotel and the Marantz have different sounds. The Rotel sounds leaner and crisper. The Marantz is warmer and a little bit smoother. I would not charecterize one as better than the other--just different. You should listen to both to see which sound you prefer with your B+Ws.

Good luck!

Unregistered guest
My Rantz / Hawk,

Thanks for your reply, I've just made an appointment with a local dealer for a comparison over two weeks for both receivers with the metioned speakers.

Probably I will go for the Marantz because at the moment I think this will be price / sound wise the best choice for me but we will see after mine comparison.

Best regards,

Johan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us