Best receiver for about $1000

dave0123
Unregistered guest
I'm building a new system.Paradigm monitor 11s up front, will buy cc-370 after Christmas, undecided on surrounds. I like the NAD T753, but have seen enough bad post to consider something else. The CA 540r sounds great with the Paradigms, but doesn't have enought imputs. It also runs to hot to be placed in a cabinet. Is their any thing else out their that can come close to these two in sound quality in this price range?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 209
Arcam 250/300
Outlaw 950 Pre/Pro

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 168
Kano, what is the price of the Arcam 250. I know that the Arcam 300 is about $2,000. The outlaw is a preamp with costs $800. He would still need to buy the power amp too. His post said he wanted to be in the $1,000 price range. I don't think any of your suggestions are in his range.

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 152
Outlaw is planning on releasing their new 1070 receiver soon. Sound quality should be up there with NAD and CA. Might be worth waiting for that, they have some info on it at their site Outlaw Audio you should be able to find out if it has enough inputs for your requirements. They have committed to pricing it under $1000.

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 169
As I went to the Outlaw site, the price of the 950 dropped even lower. Must be making way for a new product.

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 153
Jonathan, you guessed it!

I found this on their site in the New Products area:

quote:

"Finally, before we leave the topic of new products, let us answer any speculation that might arise as the result of the price reduction for the Model 950. It is no secret that we are working on plans for a new preamp/processor; we've mentioned such a product before. However, it is way too early to discuss any specifics as to the feature set, and the introduction date has not been determined other than by saying that it will be at some point during 2005..."

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 211
Sorry about that, I never read the subject line, I thought the NAD was priced closer to $1500. Another option is the Cambridge Audio Azur540, it's tough to get the sound quality of NAD at the $1000 price range.

reeceb73
Unregistered guest
What are you looking for in a receiver? What kind of inputs and features do you have in mind? I was shopping for a receiver about a month ago and settled on an Onkyo 702 b/c of the dual zone, 3 component inputs, remote, and i liked the way it sounded w/ my speakers (B&W 600 series). I looked at several before settling on this receiver, but I found the onkyo to fit my needs the best. I have my house wired for speakers in several rooms, so i needed the dual zone. I needed 3 component inputs for my HD cable box, DVD player and PS2. The other receiver i really gave consideration to was the Denon 2805. I thought both sounded great - i auditioned both in my house - the denon was slightly warmer, but the onkyo seemed to do a better job w/ HT. The kicker for me was i found the onkyo on sale for about $80 cheaper and it came w/ a free DVD player (didnt really need another DVD player, but it was free). I havent listened to the paradigms you have, but if they are on the bright side, you might want to give the Denon a look. The Yamaha 1500 didnt have enough component inputs and the 2500 was more than i wanted to spend ($1,100). The place I bought my speakers from really pushed the Marantz 5500, but it really didnt fit my needs and again, I didnt want to spend the money for the higher priced model - SR-7500 at $1,099. The sound I am getting w/ the Onkyo is great and it had all the features i wanted. The on screen menus are great and makes it easy to setup. Onkyo makes a very reliable amp, so i liked that as well.

dave0123
Unregistered guest
Kano,Smitty,Jonathan thanks for the posts the Arcam 200 falls in my price range, but their dealer locator can't find a dealer within 150 miles of me. The outlaw 1070 look interesting and deserves a listen.

reeceb73 I the CA 540r is short one set of imputs, almost any other reciver will due in that respect. I watch lots of movies and my PS2 also gets lots of play time, but if we are home the reciver is on. My friend and I all play or have played music (everything but cuntry or rap\hiphop) so music really needs to be excelent. Most mass market fall a little short in this respect.(my opion) I sold Onkyo at CC in collage excelent for HT and dependable just not the best for music. I am going to demo an Integra to see if it's any better. A friend who use to do home install for a local company said almost every Denon they installed came back with problems so I've rulled them out as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us