Superbowl in HDTV of course

Username: Ncavman

Post Number: 34
Of course, the big game is in HDTV. I am glad to hear that CBS is handing off the HDTV responsibilty to Sony this year. Since I am in Charlotte, NC, I guess you can figure out who I am pulling for. Regardless, you gotta love a live 1080i HD, DD5.1 broadcast that is going to 150+ million people. I have 2 backup Pioneer HDTV cable boxes and a Zenith HD off-air antenna just in case. (and a Honda generator in case of power outages!) sick, huh?

I hope you all have a great weekend and really enjoy your HT equipment at times like this.

http://www.cbs.com/info/hdtv/

CBS AND SONY ELECTRONICS TEAM UP TO BROADCAST SUPER BOWL XXXVIII AND AFC PLAYOFFS IN HDTV

All Five CBS Broadcasts In High Definition Television Format Including 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound

CBS announced today it will broadcast its full slate of five NFL Playoff Games, culminating in the live broadcast of SUPER BOWL XXXVIII on Sunday, February 1 at 6:25PM ET in high definition television format. Sony Electronics will sponsor the HDTV broadcasts, which will begin Sunday, January 4 with the CBS Television Network's first AFC Wild Card Playoff Game.

In addition, the CBS/Sony collaboration will make possible the broadcast of the Network's NFL pre-game show, THE NFL TODAY, from the AFC Championship Game on Sunday, January 18 at 2PM ET; the Network's XXXVIII pre-game show, THE SUPER BOWL TODAY, on Sunday, February 1 at 2PM ET, and the AMERICA ONLINE SUPER BOWL XXXVIII HALFTIME SHOW in HDTV.

CBS Sports' Super Bowl XXXVIII and AFC Playoff HDTV broadcasts will feature the highest definition television format -- 1080 lines of picture resolution -- and 5.1 digital Dolby surround sound. The unified productions for the Standard Definition and HD telecasts will feature the same camera angles, replays and graphics.

"There is no bigger stage to showcase the HDTV experience than the Super Bowl," said Sean McManus, President, CBS Sports. "We're pleased to once again partner with Sony as we continue to believe in the power of HDTV for all viewers."

"There is no stronger entertainment combination than major sporting events in HD and Sony's digital television lineup," said Tim Baxter, senior vice president of Sony Electronics' Home Products Division. "Sony DTVs bring the big action home. Once consumers experience the AFC Playoffs and the Super Bowl in spectacular high definition sight and sound, they'll never look at the sporting events the same way. It's really like no other home theater entertainment."

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 163
NC AV Man: you are sick. A backup generator. I mean, mine runs on an APC1500 UPS, but that's about as sick as I get. :-) My HDTV feed is from BrightHouse Networks (formerly Time Warner) of Central Florida. I was just watching Behind Enemy Lines on HBO HD on the big screen in the family room.

I don't have a party planned... we'll see what happens. No one from work really knows I have a 92" 16:9 (HDTV) screen at home, so... I didn't feel like cooking for some Super Bowl party.

Should be interesting though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
92" of HD ... oooh that sounds nice. I am turning green with my measly 51" RPTV. I have an APC Smart UPS 750 rack, but you have me beat with the 1500. Your setup must sound awesome with your AVR525 and Paradigms. I think you also have a Velo. sub which I am a big fan of.

If I start cooking now can I show up?!!?? Heh.. just kidding, enjoy the big show.... NCAV.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
NCAV: okay, you give me your AVR-7200 and you can come to the party. :-) Oh, and yeah, you have to cook too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
NCAV and others: that was sweet! Watching the superbowl in 1080i HDTV! There were a couple of video problems, but other than that, the broadcast was very clear, very nice! I've never seen the grass so green! :-)

The only thing I didn't like were the commercials. They were at a higher audio level -- standard marketing technique -- and most of them were not Dolby Digital. This made listening to most of the commercials painful. Also, when they went to commericals, most of the commercials caused the decoder to switch to 4:3 instead of 16:9. I didn't like that, but hey... the game was in 16:9 HDTV 1080i! I enjoyed the commercials which were HDTV. I tried the system in VMax but didn't like that. It wouldn't let me switch it to Logic 7 (I run digital optical from my HDTV Cable Converter to my H/K AVR-525 for HDTV BROADCASTS ONLY. That is, that normally, I watch the cable box through my ReplayTV 5040 so I use the standard analogue connection from the HDTV box to the ReplayTV 5040 box, but I have an optical cable from the ReplayTV 5040 box to the H/K AVR-525 (OPTICAL 2) -- strange, huh? When I watch HDTV, I have the cable box connected to VID 1 and use OPTICAL 1 for audio. Hey, it works for me because most of the times, I watch TV through the ReplayTV 5040 box.

I have both the DirecTV satellite box and the HDTV Digital Cable box connected to the ReplayTV 5040 box. (You should see my program listings... the DirecTV channels are 1-999 and the Digital Cable are 1000-1999. So confusing because when I'm in a different room, the cable channels are "normal". :-) If you're thinking I can just subtract 1000 from the channels on that ReplayTV box to get the correct cable channel, wrong! It actually redid the channels because the channels which come from Brighthouse are 1-1100. The ReplayTV box rewrote them to 1000-1999. Confusing! :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
You are right, great game. I only saw a couple of video problems as well. The color and detail was terrific in 1080i. My HDTV provider is Time Warner.

I was also annoyed at the commericial broadcast stream changes. Not only was the audio much louder (which is VERY loud when you consider I had the game cranked) but the decoding changes screwed up the audio for the first couple seconds of each non-DD commercial.

I was using the digi coax connection from my cable box for most of the game which auto-decoded as Dolby Digital EX on the HK. When it would switch to a Dolby 2 commercial or any other mode it would take a second to make a change in the firmware on the AVR. It does not seem impossible to just set one mode at the broadcast point and convert all commercial's audio to the main feature's surround coding and leave it there. Whatever. It was still great! I changed to analog audio outputs and listened for a few minutes in L7 and other modes with no problems. Still preferred the intended broadcast surround which was great.

Too bad we have to wait another year to watch that event again :-(

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
NC AV Man: but I recorded it on both my DVRs. Too bad I couldn't record the actual 1080i HDTV broadcast. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us