Onkyo dvd players. Help decide

Bronze Member
Username: Dmc1

Post Number: 11
Im looking at a onkyo dvd player to match the tx-sr601 or 602 that I want to buy.

The dvd units ive seen are dv-cv701 or 702
and dv-sp501 and 502

What are the differences?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
anyone know?

Bronze Member
Username: Sulfur

Post Number: 68
Are you looking for a plain DVD player or one that plays DVD-Audio and/or SACD?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I really dont know the diff. to be honest
Can you help me
thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Landlockedph

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 26
I'm also going through the same search to match my TX-SR702.

In my case, it's important that the player also play DVD-R and DVD+R formats.

Comments from anybody with experience with the DV-SP303 or DV-SP502 would be appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Sulfur

Post Number: 69
If you're just looking for a plain vanilla DVD player & not a high res audio (DVD-Audio or SACD) player, you are posting to the wrong forum. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Steelydan

Post Number: 21
the one you want from onkyo is the DV-CP802. It plays both DVD-Audio and SACD. It has good reviews.

Bronze Member
Username: Landlockedph

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 28
So if you're only looking for a single disk player... the DV-SP502?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Actually Im trying to decide what I need and dont really understand DVD audio and SACD
I have a plasma tv and getting 6.1 receiver
I will be about 50/50 video and music

Can anyone help me
thanks

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 443
Why don't you just go to OneCall.com and order up a Yamaha 5770 DVD player. It plays everything very, very well - and will set you back about $359 USD.
You won't be sorry - and you'll have a player that will not only do what you want it to do now, but will be ahead of its time in audio qualities.
The Onkyo stuff is OK - but not really great. Do yourself a favor, though, and read up on all the SACD and DVD-A literature you can find. It will help you understand what so many people are going through right now.

The Yamaha won't give you the HDMI up-sampling cable, but if you just use component video you'll get everything you need, and more!

Good hunting!. . .

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1246
DVD-A and SACD are high resolution recording formats offering better fidelity than cd's. They can usually be played in 2 channel stereo and up to 5.1 suroound, though some (especially SACD), can come in stereo formats only. Hybrid SACD's (both in 2 channel and Multi channel)can have a normal CD layer allowing them to be played on a regular cd player. DVD-A can be played on any DVD player, but if it does not have DVD-A option then only the Dolby Digital or DTS (or both) layers can be accessed. DVD-A also has some video content and menu options.

Some DVD players will have DVD-A decoders only.
Some CD players will have SACD decoders only.

A universal DVD player will enable both formats to be played with a suitable reciever that has the multi channel inputs available. 6 good quality audio interconnects are used for the multi channel surround capabilities of DVD-A and SACD ( L&R mains, the center, the rear L&R surrounds and the subwoofer).

Some higher priced components now have firewire or HDMI connections allowing only one lead in place of 6 but these not necessary for good quality playback.

If you like your music to sound really wonderful then DVD-A and SACD should be of interest to you.

To find out more re; specs etc do a google search for DVD-A and SACD.

Hope this helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
WOW thats lots to know
Since Im shallow in the pockets and am trying to get a whole HT system up and running Im not sure if Im advanced enough to untilize the features of a more advance player. Do I understand this? Are the formats DVD-A and SACD something that I would be creating in my own audio recordings or are they formated on store bought CD's
This whole discussion is for CD music only is that correct. Thanks for helping me with this.
dc
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us