JBL keep or replace - Need Advice

Username: Shad

Chesapeake, Virginia USA

Post Number: 1
I own a pair of JBL L80t3's. These speakers are about 14 years old, and at the time, were considered high-end speakers. The JBL's still sound great. I want to upgrade my center and rear speakers. I'm using a Paradigm sub, a big Yamaha receiver, and Pioneer Elite DVD player (with SACD & DVD Audio). I began searching for quality JBL center and rear speakers but was disappointed in the quality appearance. I'm only going by the web site appearance. Does JBL still make a good home speaker (not sold at Best Buy)? I browsed their web site, and the only products that looked "audiophile", cost around $12,000.00 a pair! I'm beginning to think I need to start from scratch. I will consider spending $1200 for new front speakers and $1000 for center and rear - I have kids to put through college! Finally my question: Should I give up on JBL and begin looking closely at Paradigm, PSB or Klipsch? I'm into music and movies. My music taste is classic rock, but I listen to everything from Bach to Rock.

Bronze Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 19
Not sure about the JBL's, but i would suggest that for the price range you could get a pretty nice system from paradigm or PSB, as they both sound great with yamaha receivers. I have paradigms and really like them. For that kind of money you could probably get Paradigm Studio 20's, cc470, and adp470 for rears to go with your sub. Have a listen to them and see what you think, the cheap monitor line sounds quite a bit different, and maybe they will be more to your liking, this is what I have. Best of Luck
Derek

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 982
I think it's time for a speaker upgrade and for Yamaha agree Paradigm is a good place to look. They match Yamaha much better than JBL anyway.

Chesapeake, Virginia USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks Derek and Elitefan.
Derek, you said you own the Paradigm, Monitor series. How do you like the ICP co-polymer material used for the midrange cones? I'm fond of paper and Kevlar, but not familiar with this ICP co-polymer material. Does the ICP material provide the detail that paper and Kevlar cones can provide? I've always been a Yamaha fan, but maybe it's time to give the NAD a listen. Thanks again for the advice and have a good holiday.

Bronze Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 20
Shad,
I really love the sound of the midrange in the monitor 7's but then again, what i like and what you like in sound might be completely different. So I would suggest going and listening to them to see what you like. I have the monitor 7's and find them to be the best speaker in the monitor line, and at 800 canadian, you can't go wrong. I also like the sound of yamaha, but most people love the sound of nad for music, but seem to have problems with their 5 channel processing. Go out and listen and let me know what ya think.
derek

Chesapeake, Virginia USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks Derek
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us