The best speakers you've ever heard?

D.marsden
Unregistered guest
Topic of debate..

What are the best sounding speakers you've heard to date? price no option!

Personally for me, it's a pair of really weird looking B&0 speakers i had the gaul to demo in my local Bang shop last week..

Filled the room with an amazing sweetness!

retail RRP £10,000 :-O

maybe one day :D

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 190
Can't choose between Naim DBLs (£11500) and Dynaudio Evidence Master (£45000-ish).

Best value for money speaker - Totem Mani-2 on Heavi-2 stands (retail £3200 or so). Sadly, they need big power to drive them.

regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 938
I dont know if I can say these are the best, but at least they're very close to it. They're perfect for music but I dont know if I would take them for HT. The Finnish made magnetostatic Crevasse Audio speaker:
http://www.tetrimaki.fi/english/highend_speaker.html

Of the more conventional speakers I would say Focal.JMLab Nova Be.

Silver Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 114
I haven't heard them all but the JM Lab Grand Utopia Be's sounded really nice at the audio store.

Lower priced were either the Dali Evidence or my Ohm Acoustic Micro Tall's.

Bronze Member
Username: Mitchbd

Post Number: 50
Here's my two bits...

I was out at a local demo recently - and had the pleasure of hearing (or not hearing) the Sonus Faber Stradivari's. They simply disappeared. Quite stunning, the most amazing speaker I have heard yet.

Bronze Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 60
The best that I've heard - a gigantic pair of Duntechs in a Mastering Lab.

Like Stone, the Ohm Microwalsh Tall is the best affordable speaker that I have heard so far.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Original Quads. It is a sound that, once heard, is forever remembered.
After that, a double stacked pair of the largest Bozak's (the Concert Grand; eight 12" woofers, four 6" mids and sixteen tweeters in a vertical column on each channel) driven by an early Audio Research tube amp and a master tape played on a Studer open reel at 15 ips. The memory I have of those speakers is that they would dwarf a DunTech being a total 36" wide and 104" height.

Silver Member

Post Number: 939
Here's a nice set of pictures from Sonus Faber. How they build the Amati Homage:
http://www.hifi-notes.com/sonusfaberamatifabrikage-nl.htm

Silver Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 109
My best ever: Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1859
Sonus Faber for me.

Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 7
For me it has to be Cadence. The Arca sounds awesome when driven with Cadence's own tube amps.

Bronze Member
Username: Natediggidy

Baltimore, Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 68
My list of speakers heard is not as broad as some but the one's I've liked best so far were Magnepans. The soundstage was simply incredible, and they weren't even 100% there. The tweeter section wasn't even putting out that much, but they too, did the dissapearing act. Imagine a pair of six feet tall, two feet wide panels from eight feet away and I simply could not pinpoint ANY sound comming from them! The sound simply appeared, spread out in the air between and in front of the speakers. No real "deep-deep" bass, but that's what subs are for :-) . Definately what I will own one day.

Bronze Member
Username: Pal

PuneIndia

Post Number: 58
what abt...German Physiks GAUDY....
wish someone gives me a Christmas gift hahahahahaha !

Silver Member

Post Number: 945
Have anyone heard The Gaudi? It looks so _high-end_. What's the price? More than Acapella Spharon Excalibur?

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 332
Klipschorns driven by a McIntosh tube amp.

Silver Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 120
Regarding German physiks, someday I would like to listen to a pair of their Walsh designed speakers like the Boarderland.

TWR
Unregistered guest
I have two that I have a hard time choosing between. The Avantgarde Duo and the Hyperion HTS 938. Neither design has much in common with the other except the ability to make you try and figure out where you are going to get the money to buy them. What awe-inspiring, jaw-dropping speakers!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

At this point I would ask why anyone thinks the speakers they have chosen are the best "sounding" when a speaker shouldn't "sound" like anything. I chose the Quads for the simple reason they have always sounded the least like a speaker to my ears.

Silver Member

Post Number: 950
Anyone heard the Avantgarde Trio + Basshorn?

Silver Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 121
Forgot to mention the very revealing but a litte "cold" B&W Nautilus and the awesome Avalons... wow! :-O

Username: Antonio22

Dallas, Texas Usa

Post Number: 2
Can anyone tell me what the differences between the sonus faber's lines are ? please

Username: Antonio22

Dallas, Texas Usa

Post Number: 3
Has anyone heard of Sonus Faber ?

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
definatly magnepans! Thats why I now own a pair!

Username: The13thgryphon

Spokane, WA

Post Number: 1
Personally, when I say "best sound" I mean "most lifelike and accurate to the original event."

Cost no object... Wisdom Audio Adrenaline (www.wisdomaudio.com) around $45,000.

Cost as a real consideration... Magnapan MG-3.6 (about $3,500), or even the MG-1.6 ($1,750)

Anonymous

Audiovox 6x9's in the Dodge Omni. Two thumbs up.
Just having a little fun.

Jive Bunny
Unregistered guest
The speakers that came with my old Tesco's own brand mini hi-fi are the best. Only rated at 8W, but the sound is great.

Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 5
on the cheap end of things, my Paisley 12" spl monitors. Body and Bass, Stereo power behind vintage Akai reference pre/amp.
Course I live in the cheap end...

Bronze Member
Username: Elite

Post Number: 75
A great review i found in stereophile magazine

I originally bought my Paradigm Studio/60 v.2s because I wanted small floorstanding speakers that had full-range sound, and they filled the bill. The Studio/60 v.3 is significantly bigger and significantly better than the v.2. Perhaps the most important improvement is in the v.3's overall smoothness and balance, from the low bass all the way to the top. This is difficult to achieve, and has been the downfall of many speakers, especially low- to mid-priced floorstanders. It's also why many listeners forgo deep bass altogether in this price range, preferring to go with small two-way monitor speakers. The Paradigm Reference Studio/60 v.3, however, has a seamlessness and a wide frequency range that I usually associate with speakers many times its price.

Over the years, I've reviewed a number of speakers in the $1000-$2000/pair range because this is where, it seems to me, the going gets tough. Speakers costing less than $1000/pair usually include serious compromises, and those costing more than $2000/pair, no matter how good they are, can be enjoyed only by the relative few who can afford them. In this range, several other speakers have outstanding and desirable traits, but no speaker costing anywhere near $1600/pair has a better integration of all performance parameters than Paradigm's Reference Studio/60 v.3.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us