6.1 versus 7.1...Deal Breaker?

Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 13
Looking for the best bang for my buck I have opened the doors beyond the Yamaha RXV-2400. All opinions are welcome but I don't really want to get into brands versus brands because it gets so personal.

However one brand in consideration is NAD. I was looking at a NAD T763 today at the dealer and it is 6.1. Their next step up to 7.1 is the T773 (which has more power too, etc..) but an extra $400 over the 763. I have 7 speakers so I want to utilize them all. The 2400 has 7 channel so a place for all of my speakers but the dealer said for the 6.1 I could add both my rear surrounds to 6th channel so I'd have 2 speakers on it.

I just wonder in all this mess what I am really benefiting or possibly losing with a 7 channel versus 6 channel. Realizing in all of this that not only is the NAD T763 more pricy than the Yamaha 2400 but the step up to the 7.1 T773 is TWICE the price of the 2400. I can swing the extra few hundred but for 2x I need to know I need it.

I just want some insight to what is really valuable in all of this to consider. I think maybe some manufacturers are fooling us as to what's really important, feeding off our frenzy to have the latest and greatest, and I want to spend what I need to so I won't regret it but not more than I have to. Make sense?

Any insight??

Username: Johnny

Post Number: 66
JDG,

What speakers do you have and how big is your room? This can make a huge difference in our recommendations.

Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 14
The room is kinda large...about 26' x 16'. I have Paradigms all around...Monitor 7 Fronts, CC-350 Center, Titan and Atoms for the rear surrounds.

Since I have the speakers I want to use them. Just wondering if connecting the 6th & 7th speakers to the 6th channel is losing someting versus a 7.1 which has connections in the back for the 7th speaker. From what I've heard there isn't even a 7.1 format available on DVD yet so seems upgrading to 7.1 isn't buying me much. Thanks.

Username: Johnny

Post Number: 67
JDG,

You are correct in saying that there is no 7.1 format available on DVD yet. There is a 6.1 format, but it really is not used very often. I have a fairly large collection of more than 100 DVD's (mostly action) and I think only 5 or 6 of them are in the 6.1 format. So...if you take this a very rough "sampling" of all DVD's, then well less than 10% are in 6.1. That doesn't mean that your surround rear speakers will go unused...it just means that the sound coming from them will be matrixed from the other surround channels.

As for the Paradigm/NAD combination, I have heard it many times in a showroom and they go VERY well together. Both the speakers and the NAD receiver are known for being very detailed...so when you put them together it is pure magic. I own a NAD T762 and some PSB speakers (which are somewhat similar in sound charachteristics to Paradigm) and the combo is awesome.

Obviously, I am going to recommend that you get an NAD over Yamaha (although from what I have heard, Paradigm is one of the few speakers that sound decent with Yamaha). As for 5.1 vs 6.1 vs 7.1...that has been debated many times on this forum. My recommendations would be this: get the NAD T763. Try it out in full 6.1, and try it out utilizing all 7 speakers as your dealer described. See how you like it. If it sounds good...then why mess with a good thing. NAD was smart when they designed their newer receivers because they made them upgradable. They all have pre-outs that will allow the receiver to be upgraded to 7.1 if you so choose. So...if in a few months you decided that you were missing something with only 6.1, all you would have to do is go buy a separate one or two channel power amp (which you could get for only a few hundred dollars) and your 763 would magically be transformed into a full-fledged 7.1 receiver. From my listenings to all of the brands involved in this discussion, I truly feel that you would be much happier with this setup than going for the Yamaha, even though it is already 7.1. Just my 2 cents worth.

Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 46
JDG, I am also the happy owner of a NAD T763. However, I have not heard the Yamaha although I have read many posts of folks who are very happy with it and I wouldn't discount those folks. Also, the HK 7200 is still out there at an incredible price. If I was buying a receiver right now, I would look very closely at it. I tried out a lower model HK and thought it was quite good and as good as a higher priced Marantz. As for speaker compatability, I would suspect that the HK would do fine with Paradigms. I have a Nakamichi TA-2A driving Titans as we speak and I think it sounds great with nice clean power. Just my two cents.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us