Matching a receiver for Paradigm studio 40's

Alex_R
Unregistered guest
i'm trying to find a good match for the studio 40's. I had an older Yamaha and never really liked the match. I also am going to have the servo 15 sub. I currently have studio 20's as surrounds and then the center. Any good suggestions??

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 505
For Paradigm, I can think of no better receiver than NAD. The Paradigms really bring out the clarity and detail of NAD. Check out their line and audition based on your budget. Coming in a distant second, at least in my opinion, would be Yamaha and Denon. The newer Yamaha's are not as bright as the older ones, so maybe you would like the combo better now? I am not a personal fan of Denon, but they do match fairly well with Paradigm.

Alex_R
Unregistered guest
I've also read a lot of post about Rotel..but paired with more powerful speakers...what do you think?

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 506
Rotel is wonderful also, and would pair very well with Paradigm. I didn't mention them because they are comparatively very expensive...and you didn't list a budget so I went pretty conservative.

What do you mean "more powerful speakers"?

Alex_R
Unregistered guest
Well...i just mean a lot of the posts I've read have paired up the Rotel with speakers that are more powerful than the studio 40's.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 507
I guess that is where I am confused. Do you mean that the speakers can HANDLE more power? Or REQUIRE more power? Then I would understand. Most speakers have no internal power, so on their own, no speaker is more or less powerful than another. If that is what you mean, then the only explaination I can give is that like I said, Rotel receivers are generally pretty expensive, so maybe the people who buy them are more apt to have more expensive speakers too...and generally more expensive speakers require/can handle more power. I have never heard the Rotel/Paradigm combo personally, but like I said, based on what I have heard from them separately, it should make a great combo. I would think that your speakers would be more than capable of handling a Rotel receiver.

Alex_R
Unregistered guest
Sorry for the confusion...What I was trying to say is that I could buy a receiver to drive them that is less expensive than the rotel because they are not speakers that require an expensive powerful receiver to drive them...therefore leading me to the statement I made. In other words, your more expensive powerful speakers might benefit and use the Rotel's power to the fullest extent. Hope I explained myself.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 508
Yes, thank you for clarifying, I understand now. Like I said, Rotel would be wonderful for Paradigm, but by no means is it the only receiver that will make those speakers sing. It is just a matter of what you are willing to spend. There are some very good options out there, and you don't have to spend the kind of cash a Rotel would cost either.

Unregistered guest
Johnny, I was wondering as to if Rotel would be the best choice to push Klipsch rf-35's or if there is a better choice. I've read Yamaha is not the best choice to pair with Klipsch. I have a pioneer svx-d811s and i just don't feel that it pushes these speakers enough. The volume only goes to 0, and at -30 it seems like the movie/music should be louder. The dealer suggested Rotel or Yamaha however should I look at K/H or Marantz?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 927
divin,
The volume setting of -30 is not a high setting and I would not worry about that. If you don't like the receiver you have then by all means look to replace it and I would suggest a warm receiver to help balance the Klipsch natural brightness so look at Pioneer Elite, H/K and Marantz. Rotel and Yamaha are good receivers, especially Rotel but not the best match with Klipsch. You might also want to look at NAD.
Alex,
I would take a look at the new Yamaha 1500 or 2500. How much Yamaha has improved with these and the 1400/2400 is hard to understate. IMO thay are a very good match with Paradigm and this is from a guy who has disliked Yamaha probably more than any regular poster here in the last few years. As a old Yamaha fan from the 70's it is great to be able to recommend them again in the right situation. Denon also is a possible choice as Johnny said so look at the Denon 2805 as well.

divin11112000
Unregistered guest
I realize that -30 doesn't seem like it should be very loud, but my reciever does not allow me to go into positive numbers. (i set it where i had not input source so i had not sound comming out of my speakers and just increased the volume until it stopped) I will look into some of those other brands. Thanks for the input

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 126
i set it where i had not input source so i had not sound comming out of my speakers and just increased the volume until it stopped

------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you rephrase that? I don't understand what you're trying to say.

You realize 0 is the loudest your receiver is speced to play, right. At -30 you're using a very small part of your receiver's maximum power. Set your receiver to -10 in a good movie and see how you like it... or -5.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 65
Alex I have had my Paradigm Studios 20v3s for over a year now and have been driving them with NAD T752, it is a great match but one thing I have noticed is the Studios need power.. although they may not be big tower speakers they still need and should have lots of good clean power.. I wouldn't recomend anything smaller then a T752 to drive these speakers, actually if I had to do it again I might have opted for the T762.. great speakers and NAD is a solid receiver.. good luck

Alex_R
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the input Paul...I checked out the T753 and T763...can't make up my mind though....they both sounded very nice!

Alex_R
Unregistered guest
Oh, and by the way...what do you think a good dealer discount would be for one of these products??

Bronze Member
Username: Buckcrazy

Post Number: 48
they give out 20% if you haggle enough can get 25 i just came back from audition and found out 763 is the best and 753 is nothing in comparision when driven hard it does loose its grace now 763 is great all the way up thanks

Alex_R
Unregistered guest
It seems like the 763 is worth the extra money for many reasons. I think I'm going to go listen to it again tomorrow night. Are you going to get the 763 baldev??

Bronze Member
Username: Buckcrazy

Post Number: 49
yes i wish he would come down to 25% then it is fun i do not understand the retailers in US are selling a CDn product for less than our local goofs so it is cheaper to get them from us rather than local but now they are pushing us into a corner if u did not buy from our authorised dealer no warranty that is shame .......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us