Help Please? Need help with my subwoofer setup!

Username: Myka

Toronto, Ontario CANADA

Post Number: 7
Hey guys, ok my problem is the amplifier on my subwoofer is getting extremley hot, even with the gain at half. I crank my receiver DB up to make up for it, but im thinking I need an external amplifier, is that the root I should go?

My system is a NAD T752 receiver
Subwoofer : Definitive Tech. Powerfield 1500 15 inch

Dont get me wrong, the sub sounds amazing... Its just that when I play house music for a long while, I would like more bass without ruining my sub/amp.
Im afraid to put the gain up past half because the amp starts getting extremley hot, and I want to be safe so I dont turn it up any more.

Is it normal for the amp to get very hot?
Should I crank it up and not worry about the heat?
Or do I need some sort of external amplifier? Help on this issue would be great, thanks!

Toronto, Ontario CANADA

Post Number: 8
Its been a week with no response. Could someone please help here??

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 31
Depending on how new the sub is, you may want to push the thing the way you want it now, rather than blow it later.

With the sub level at half it should have no issues, even with your amp running at 0dB.

All amps give off heat, even at moderate levels, is it burn your finger, fry an egg hot, or is it just extremely warm?

Toronto, Ontario CANADA

Post Number: 9
Like make breakfest on it then invite your friends over for some shrimp on tha ampy hot.

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 33
Well that baby is 500W RMS. Tough to say as I haven't seen one of those in action. The parts that get really hot may be part of the cooling system, like a plate that collects and releases all the heat off the amp.

If it's on a thick carpet get it off the floor, I used hockey pucks, works well.

Have the place you bought it check it out or contact them and see what kind of heat is normal off that sub.

Or just use it normally, if it melts down return it as defective, and don't leave it on if you go to work or something.

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario CANADA

Post Number: 11
Its obvious the amp on the sub is getting too hot, I need someone to answer how to add more power to the sub without causing the amp to stress to much. Is it called an 'external amplifier'? Is that what I need?

Silver Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 105
I am not aware of the brand you have but if I could compare to my HSU that never gets more than luke warm, I would say that your amp may be of lesser quality. It should not get that hot.

Adding an external amplifier will be an expense that you should not have to make. Maybe a new sub could be the answer.

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_the_man

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 23
you may want to use an ohm meter to measure the resistance of the sub, perhaps it is shorted and has less resistance allowing more current to flow. Just a shot in the wind. As long as it works and doesn't go into protection mode, ride it until the wheels fall off, especially if it is under warranty

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 329
try puting a cooling fan on the unit, such as the computer kind that you find at radioshack

monkey man jack
Unregistered guest
you could buy an external amp and see if it changes anything, if not you can sell the amp on ebay and get your money back. (buy the amp on ebay, it'll most likely be cheaper).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us