HK 7200: best spkr match, and vs. Integra 7.3

Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 1
i am seriously considering buying the HK AVR-7200. For spkrs, I'm considering the following fronts as part of a 5.1 setup: Paradigm Studio 20, 40, or 60's; DefTech 2004 or 2006, or B&W 604 or 603. I can't find a dealer that sells all of these, so I have the following questions:

1. which of these spkrs would work best w/the hk? or other comments on the relative merits of the spkrs?
2. other spkrs that would be better w/the hk?
3. merits of integra 7.4 vs the HK, on its own and as a match for the spkrs i mentioned. i know that onkyo/integra has suspect power ratings vs HK, but the Net-Tune feature seems nice to have, and i wonder if that outweighs the power issue. thanks.

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 156
bigfan: I actually love your speaker list. While I have the Paradigm Reference Eclipse/BPs paired with a Paradigm Reference CC-450 for my front array, I love the Studios too! I also had looked at the Definitive Technology bipolars AND I also (almost) purchased B&W 601 (or were they 602s) for my rears! (I ended up with Mirage 390is' for my rear surrounds... closeout, you know!)

Tough choices though. I would say that whichever you pick, they should be great, but you need to ask yourself some questions.

Are you looking for Movies/TV more than Music? If you're in that magic 60/40 (Movies/Music) then I'd say go with the bipolars (DefTech). Their sound is different, because there's no "real" stereo imaging problem with their placement. The B&Ws and the Paradigms Studios are gonna sound a little different from the DefTechs because of they are of a monopole design (single direction firing speakers).

Integra... I like Integra too. Wow, I sound like a reviewer for Consumer Electronics. :-) I haven't heard the Integra with the DefTechs nor the B&W, but I have heard it with my Paradigms (Reference Eclipse/BP). The sound was warm and the bass tight... just as my H/K plays them. I don't know what Integra is like with the Studios, DefTechs, nor B&W. I would suspect that the sound will be similar... on the warmer side.

Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 2
I forgot to mention, I listen to about 60/40 music/movies. i've heard each of these spkrs on their own, BUT all at different times at different dealers (making real comparison difficult) and never with the HK 7200. geekboy - what led you to choose paradigm over DefTech?

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 157
bigfan: I understand your difficulty with comparisons. I had the same problem as I auditioned speakers at Tweeter, Etc as well as The Home Theater Store (in Houston, TX).

I chose the Paradigms for a couple of reasons. At the time, 1999, I had Klipsch CF-2s with the Klipsch C2 Center. I really didn't like the sound. They were paired with a Kenwood KRV-990D (which I still have racked, but don't use) and the Mirage 390is speakers. I had just "transformed" my home theater and bought a Pioneer Elite 53" RPTV, so wanted to upgrade my speakers as well (I really didn't like those Klipsch... they were bass shy!).

So... reading and reading, as you are today, and more research led me to "biploar" speaker designs. That brought me, invariably, to Definitive and Paradigm. I listened to both and the Paradigm Reference Eclipse/BPs just stood out for whatever reason. Mind you, that I listened to them in different stores but both with Onkyo Integra pushing them (I was thinking of getting the Integra too). I also listened to the Paradigms with Parasound. This was sweet! After that I wanted the Paradigms and I also wanted Parasound.

Well, long story, short version, I bought the Paradigms, but never bought the Parasound amps! I still want to go separates and get the Parasound. In any event, I didn't then, and I still have no remorse about my purchase. These bipolars are nice. I recently replaced my Kenwood KRV-990D with a Harman Kardon AVR-525. I'm still holding out for separates (Parasound) so I didn't buy the AVR-7200. It's at such a price now, that I keep re-thinking, but I think I'm gonna stay on-goal and purchase a Parasound HCA-1205A.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 172
If you do buy the 7200[which I highly recommend] I would choose the Def Tech's from your list as the Paradigms are too laid back for H/K for my taste. If there is a Monitor Audio dealer near you go listen to the Silver 6 and Silver 8. Perfect match with H/K.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us