Replacement Elite VSX-43TX arrived: Everything works AND it sounds great!

Username: Avdude

Post Number: 5
I want to thank those here at ecoustics who provided receiver advice. It was very helpful.

Well, I am happy to report that I have connected almost everything to the replacement receiver and EVERYTHING works fine!
Sigh of relief....

I have connected the following to my Elite receiver:
- five speakers (2 Fronts, 2 Rear + Center; the sub is disconnected for now due to neighbors)
- Technics 110+1 CD changer via optical connection.
- Sony DVD/SACD 400 disc mega changer via component video and digital optical audio.
- Pioneer SACD/DVD-Audio player via component video and digital coaxial audio.
- 38" tube 16:9 HDTV with built-in HDTV tuner (got it for under $700 six months ago when a big audio/video retailer filed for chapter 11 brankruptcy!, so I couldn't resist) via component video and RCA cables for audio.
- Harmon Kardon dual cassette deck.

The only things left to connect are:
1) the sub
2) the Xbox (I need to switch to coaxial for one of the two DVD players, since there are only two optical inputs on the Elite and the Xbox doesn't have a coaxial audio ouput - I thought the reciever had more for some reason).
3) the RCA cables for one of my DVD players, so I can play non digital sources such as VCDs etc.

I am very happy!!

7 channel stereo for stereo sources and 5.1 audio
for SACD and DVD-Audio is nice!

The only thing left to do is get a voice matching center, since my Infinity fronts don't necessarily match up with my Optimus Pro CS-5 center.

Thanks again!

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 11
avdude:

Glad to hear you got a good one! Enjoy the sound.

Happy holidays!

Post Number: 9
Thank you Hawk! Safe and Happy Holidays to you too!

Your advice, and that of others here, was very helpful! I can't stress that enough. Thanks again!

After having the receiver for 5 days now, I am extremely happy with the warm (tube-like?) and tight (to me at least) sound.
I bought an advanced resolution DVD-Audio disc (also own several SACD discs) over the weekend, and it sounded truly wonderful in 5.1 mode.
Watching TV (especially a concert I caught on Saturday night) in DPL II is an experience that makes me wish I had upgraded from my 1999 Nakamichi even sooner!

I have one addition/change I would like to make to my music/HT system ASAP:
I am going to purchase a new (I should actually say "used" because the ones which I think will match my fronts are all discontinued) center channel speaker to match my fronts:
I want it to be voice-matched with my front speakers.
In addition, the dialogue from my center channel is not loud enough when watching surround sources (DVD in dts or DD and TV in DPL II). Adjusting the center speaker level upward (on the Elite) worked relatively well, but then I had to adjust it back down for another source or type of disc (can't remember exactly which one now), since the balance between the fronts and center wasn't right.

I am hoping that a self-amplified 'Overture 1' used as center (I have 'Overture 2' fronts) will help.
I can also turn down the bass control on the speakers (self-amplified), which I am sure will help, but I like a fair amount of bass, so it is not something I would do unless I had to ;)

Other than that I am thrilled.
I am off for about a week and a half starting next Wednesday, and I can't wait to relax listening to music and watching some movies using the system :-)

I have yet to fine tune (using MCACC) the levels, so I will try that tonight; I have been a bit busy, so I haven't had time to tweak it.

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 36
avdude,
I am always happy to hear about another satisfied Elite owner. The 43 is a wonderful unit and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come. I certainly love my Elite 45 and my Monitor Audio speakers. Pure sonic heaven. Happy Holidays and enjoy!

Post Number: 12
Thanks elitefan (or should I use your new name
"therealelitefan")!
Happy Holidays to you too!

I am actually a VERY satisified Elite owner ;)
I can honestly say that it sounded even better than I expected.

I don't know how well Infinity Overture 2 speakers are supposed to match up with the
VSX-43TX, but I enjoy the sound very much, although I haven't tried it with any other speakers to be honest.

I wouldn't mind an honest (I won't be hurt or offended I promise) opinion of how well the Elite receiver/Infinity Overture 2 speaker combination is sonically-speaking, relative to other Elite receiver/speaker combinations out there.

Regardless, I won't be buying new front speakers soon, since I am honestly very satisfied and in no rush to upgrade; it is more of a curiosity thing...
Of course, I may one day decide to upgrade the front (or all) speakers...

Post Number: 25
I am going to upgrade my center channel, since I think that is the part of my system that could benefit the most from an immediate upgrade.

I posted in the 'Speakers' forum, but have not received any feedback yet:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/9362.html

I have narrowed it down to the following centers:
(NOTE: My fronts are 'Infinity Overture 2' with built-in subs; I also have a 15 inch Tympani sub, but I don't use it to avoid bothering my neighbors).

Paradigm (CC-170 or CC-370)
PSB Image 8C or 9C
PSB Stratus C5 or C6
BIC DV62CLR-S (much cheaper than the rest, but seems well-respected).
Energy CC1
Axiom VP100

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Happy New Year!

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Username: Axlrose19802002

Post Number: 30
could you guys give any more info on the sacd and dvd-audio. i'm sure you have answered the question thousands of times already, but i'm not totally sure what they are and how they work accept that it sounds as though you get full sound out of all of the usable speakers(however that many is) as if it were being played in two speaker stereo. thanks in advance.

Post Number: 26
I went to 6Ave Electronics to check out center channel speakers today.

The sales person actually told me to get
a voice-matching Infinity center, even though they don't even sell Infinity centers (i.e. he lost a potential sale).
I had wanted to listen to / compare, and potentially buy, the Energy CC-1 [which it turns out they didn't have in this particular 6Ave store] and Paradigm CC-170 and CC-370.
I was very pleasantly surprised by his honesty.
He actually had MY best interest in mind, and not his.
That is rare, especially if it means losing a sale entirely. I mean it is one thing to steer a customer toward a cheaper brand/model that sounds as good as a more expensive model one is considering, but to give advice that will cost the store a sale, it not often seen these days.

(I knew going in that, ideally, I should get a matching center, but I wanted something a little more high end).

I am going to contact Infinity to see which of their centers would be a good match.
I would love to get a 3 way Infinity IL36C center ($300 + shipping) over an Infinity CC-3 center or Overture 1 (used as center), but only if it will be well voice-matched with my Infinity 'Overture 2' front speakers.
The 'Entra 2' mfr refurb center for about $100 seems like a decent deal too, judging by its specs.

Username: Ncavman

Post Number: 13
Avdude -

If you can find a CC-3, give it a listen. It is timbre/voice matched with Overture 2's and 3's. And it looks identical to the Overture line. It goes loud and stays clean, and has great low end (crucial for a center!) Good luck.

Post Number: 28
Thanks NC AV Man!
I had not been able to find reviews on it.
Someone else had given me a recommendation for the CC-3, but I wasn't sure if that was just because it matched my fronts (not a bad reason in itself) or if it was also a good center speaker in itself.

Your feedback on its qualities is much apreciated!
I think I may just be able to locate one.

Username: Gdawg

Post Number: 24
avdude,
I would second the recomendation for the Energy CC-3.

I must say though, that the Klipsch RC-7 matches very well with the 43TX, but I would NOT recomend it due to the tonal qualitys would be way of your Energy's.

Im not of much help, but I tried!

G.DawG

Post Number: 29
Yes, you did try. I appreciate it G.DawG.
Thanks!

Actually the CC-3 that NC AV Man was talking about is the Infinity CC-3 (as he stated, it is the official matching center for the Infinity Overture 2 and 3 series speakers).

I do like Energy. I got to hear the Energy CC-1 at 6Ave on Friday evening and I liked it.

Username: Gdawg

Post Number: 25
avdude,
I guess I was up too late! I did mean Infinity. Well hope it sounds great, and you got an awsome system.

Post Number: 30
Thanks G.DawG!
:-) I know exactly what you mean about being up (a bit) too late and typing something different from what you intend to say.

I had been hoping to get a bit better (i.e. higher end) center (from another mfr, or even Infinity e.g. IL36C), but it seems voice matching is very important and that maybe a CC-3 is indeed the best choice.

I will call Infinity after lunch for recommendations.

Post Number: 36
I am now wondering whether the CC-3 would be better than the IL36C due to the CC-3 being a match with my fronts (voice-matched), even though the IL36C is a (much) better Infinity speaker than the CC-3.

I guess my question is:
Does (perfect) voice-matching really come ahead of higher absolute sound quality when selecting a center channel (within the same brand's line of center channel speakers).

I have seen at least one user review stating he switched from the CC-3 to the IL36C and was very happy he did due to the improvement in sound.

ANY feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Post Number: 37
Regarding the center:

I ended up buying a used Paradigm Reference
LCR-450 for a good price.
It has received rave reviews.

I know it isn't a voice match, but I wanted something higher end than an Infinity CC-3.
The LCR-450 has won a lot of critical acclaim from well-known publications.
It was (at the time) said to be "one of the smoothest, flattest speakers
Paradigm has yet produced"
If I don't like the LCR-450, I'll get an Infinity IL36C (which also might not be voice-matched) (if the price is right) and sell whichever I like least...

In any case, either one will be a big improvement over my Optimus Pro CS-5, which also isn't voice matched to my fronts (bought the Optimus years ago before I had even heard the term
'voice-matched').

Thanks for the tips! I know I went out on a limb, but I will not keep the LCR-450 if it turns out to be way off.

Besides, I may upgrade my fronts to Paradigm and sel the 'Overture 2' fronts...

Username: Ncavman

Post Number: 19
Avdude -

Congrats on your purchase, hope it brings lots of good tunes....

If you ever run across a good used CC3 let me know. I want one for my rear center. Also, down the road if you get rid of the O'2s look me up. I might consider them for my side surrounds.

Enjoy

Post Number: 39
Thanks NC AV Man!
I hope so too; I might have a lot more free time alone soon (that's another story), for a little while at least.

Regarding used CC3's, I would try ebay. They seem to pop up quite frequently (one or two per week).
If I see anything special on one, I'll let you know.

I might just take you up on the O2s, although I am very fond of them and the sound they produce.
First I'll check the system out with the LCR-450 (due to arrive next week).

Have a nice long weekend (assuming you're off on Monday)!

Post Number: 42
Wow! What sound! The used Paradigm LCR-450 (used as center) matches up nicely with my system, even if it isn't officially voice-matched.
The sound it produces is great; no wonder Paradigm is so popular...

Finally all my components are pretty
well-balanced in terms of quality and sound.

I am not even going to consider the IL36C anymore.

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 118
avdude: I have the Paradigm Reference CC-450... a not too distant relative of the LCR-450. I paid about $595.00/USD (retail) for it about 6 months after I got my Paradigm Reference Eclipse/BPs. I was using my Klipsch C-2 (or whatever it was called!)... not a good timbre match! (Before the Paradigms I had the Klipsch CF-2s.)

So, I shelled out the money at that time. I HAD also selected the Paradigm ADP-450s for surround, but I just couldn't justify it at the time.

Post Number: 43
Hi geekboy,

Yes, the CC-450 and LCR-450 are, from what I have read, extremely similar, with the exception of the CC-450 having an angled cabinet.
I am almost certain that the specs (other than cabinet size, due to angled front) are IDENTICAL.

I got lucky and got a used one for a great price. I hesitated to pull the trigger before the auction ended, but am VERY glad I decided to go for it.
It is in great shape - very well cared for by the previous owners. It looks almost as good as new.

Yes, the Eclipse/BP are the match for the LCR-450 I believe.

I am glad you got the matching center.
You must be very happy!

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 154
avdude: so the match with the Infinitys is good? The Paradigm LCR-450 (CC-450) has gotta be the most natural sounding center channel I've ever heard. I listened to Polk, Paradigm, Infinity, JBL, B&W, Mirage, and some others. The vocals are just so clear coming out of the Paradigm LCR-450. Everyone who comes over to my house, don't comment on the 92" 16:9 screen they're watching the movies on... they comment on how clear and audible the vocals come from the center channel. Paradigm definately did something right!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us