THX (select, ultra, ultra 2) is it marketing hype or make a difference

Bronze Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 51
Does the THX receivers add anything to the listening experince or is just hype? I've read about DD or DSP. Just wounder if THX cerfication is worth it?

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 500
My view on it has always been that it is largely marketing hype. I definately wouldn't buy a receiver simply because it has THX certification. I know of quite a few receivers that are THX certified and don't really sound all that great, and I know of many more receivers that ARE NOT THX and sound absolutely awesome (NAD, HK, Rotel to name a few). Also, THX Certification adds to the cost of a receiver. So if you have 2 receivers that cost the same amount, and one is THX Certified and the other is not, the THX receiver had to skimp somewhere to make up for the cost of THX Certification. Where did they skimp?

Supposedly all THX receivers have to meet some sort of "standards". The Onkyo TX-NR901, which is THX Certified, is rated at 110 watts x 7. However, when Sound and Vision Magazine tested the receiver, they found that it could only muster 50 watts before clipping with all channels driven. Those THX standards must not be too hard to meet then...which is why I say that it really doesn't mean too much.

So, like I said, if you find a receiver that you like, and it is THX Certified, then by all means, buy it. However, do not hesitate to buy a non-THX item either as it is not necessarily indicitive of the quality of the product.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
another question, has anyone listen to a movie that is thx in all 3 formats, which way appears to sound better? I know sounds better is subject to a individual. Just wounder if there is any noticable experince differences!

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 502
What 3 formats are you speaking of? Dolby Digital, DTS, and what else? THX is not a format, it is simply a certification.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
o well then THX is diffently hype. I was thinking THX was a upgraded version of Dolby Digital.

Thanks I won't even think of THX when consider audio.

Man these forums are great but once you figure something out you get more confused, LOl i was set on Denon, thought it was top of the line, read the forums and relize it a small step above sony lol. Which i know is matter of opion but for the same money might better look at better quality
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us