Getting 5.1 Sound

Bronze Member
Username: Decker

Post Number: 29
Hey - here's the situation I'm in:

I have 5.1 speakers called Z-640 from logitech, which are extremely popular among computer users for computers, only they work with other audio sources too. Here's the thing - it came with an adapter to change two of the three 1/8 inch colored connectors into two RCA jacks, one each (top left of image).

My question is, I know this adapter allows for only 2 channels, but want to get 5.1 out of this. Now, there's three 1/8 inch plugs that it comes with, so it mathetmatically it would make sense that they each carried two channels, and therefore 5.1.

My question is, how do I get 5.1 out of this? I have an infinite supply of 1/8 to rca adapters.

Image: http://img85.exs.cx/img85/1695/PA100130.jpg

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 11
I think there's an optical cable plug-in on that set-up... that's how you get 5.1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
No, there is no optical in, yet the speakers are advertised as 5.1.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Hope this helps

http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=9840492

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
forgot you need to register so here's the final verdict.

"Yeah. the z640 does not have a digital decoder for DD.

You need to buy an external receiver for it to use it with Xbox, or you can directly hook it up to a PC sound card that has DD decoding. Sorry, buy 50 dollar speakers and don't expect a decoder!"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
I mean this in the best way, but Sometimes I think the people around here want to buy a new piece of equipment for everything...(the people on xbox forums, too).

The speakers DO work with Xbox. Xbox has two-channel line out RCA, and the z640s have an adapter for 2-channel line in RCA. It's advertised in the manual AND on the box for the z-640s.

I guess what my main question could be divided down to is 'how are these three 1/8 inch plugs divided into 5.1 channels?'. I'm not sure who posted that on those forums, because I'm not registered, but they are basically an idiot. The z-640's advertise right on the box that they have a dolby digital decoder.

I'm sorry if this sounded at all offensive. If there's no clear-cut way the 1/8-inch plugs are divided, what are some steps I could take to figure it out?

MM87
Unregistered guest
i just bought some X-350's and am having the same problem you are...

the manual DOES state that:

Green = Front Left/Right
Black = Read Left/Right
Orange = Center/Sub

right now i'm trying to find an optical out ----> 5.1 adapter to get REAL 5.1 out of it...

Hick123098
Unregistered guest
Heres a site you can get the thing you want

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/209498.asp?siteID=H1w9RQ7Zivg-ob8xsNsXTqKOgdp mL7NAkg
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us