Def-tech vs paradigm

Username: Axlrose19802002

Post Number: 51
a few thoughtful questions as i'm getting ready to buy...

i really like the bi-polar speakers from def-tech, but hate the only authorized dealer in the state. they don't offer good service and seem to nickel and dime the consumer.

on the other hand, there is a locally owned pair of stores in the twin cities that offer great service and are much more the store to buy home theater at, but they don't have def-tech and push paradigm quite stongly. i didn't really care for the paradigm sound however. i liked it, but wasn't blown away by it like i am whenever i hear the def-techs. what is the trade off? should i get the paradigms, knowing i'll be happy even if not quite as happy and know i'll have much better service, support, etc.? or get the def-techs and prepare to be nickel and dimed and have poor service if i need repair etc.?

anyone ever shopped ultimate electronics before(audio king until recently)?

mike f
Unregistered guest
i am trying to make the exact same decision, but without the dealer issue. i listen to probably 60% music/40% movies, and music differentiates speakers more, so that's what i'm trying to base my decision on. i think i like the paradigm studio 20 or 40 a little better than deftech 2006 for music, but deftech sounds good for theater (and maybe good enough for music?), and as a system, is about half the cost (list about 2300 vs about 4000+ for paradigm). i am having trouble convincing myself that integrated subs will really give the same feel-it-in-your-gut bass as a separate sub. any thoughts would be appreciated.

regarding dealers, does it create potential problems buying speakers and receiver from 2 different dealers (ie, each guy pointing the finger at the other if there are problems or less than optimal sound due to installation)? to the extent that it should govern purchase decision?

Dan Tanna
Unregistered guest
Don't worry about having any problems with Def Tech speakers. I've had BP30's, BP10's, the PF15tl+ sub and power monitor speakers and they NEVER break.
I don't understand the "nickel and dime" comment. You pay money - you get the speakers- end of cost and story.

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 141
Matthew,
What are you going to drive your new speakers with?

Username: Axlrose19802002

Post Number: 54
as far as the nickel and dime, ultimate electronics adds a delivery cost, an installation cost ($55 an hour), pushes an extended warranty that seems to be roughly ten percent of the cost, etc.

perhaps i have a couple of experienced home theater junkies that could install for me, another friend with a truck to hall it all home in, and maybe i don't have to worry about the extended warranty if they never break(i don't understand exactly how the manufacturer's warranty works if you could help there). also the other local place with the paradigms but the receiver i want is also an authorized repair shop for both and fixes products in the back of the shop and they started some 30 years ago i believe as a repair shop first.

as far as the receive goes, i'm thinking of the marantz line perhaps 5400, 6400, or after seeing it, most likely the 7400.

thanks for anymore help.

Post Number: 146
Matthew,
If you are set on Marantz then do with the Def Tech's. They would be a better match than Paradigm as Marantz/Paradigm is to laid back while the Marantz/Def Tech would be very dynamic without being bright. Great combination.

Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 5
comparing paradigm reference studio series to deftech 2006/2004 systems, which of these receivers would match best w/each speaker: hk 7200, nad 763, integra 7.3?

Post Number: 161
H/K 7200 with Def Tech. NAD 763 with Paradigm. Integra7.3 with Def Tech. Just my opionion but based on listening to these brands for the last few years. All good choices by the way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us