Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX - Polks, BAs or B&W??

Unregistered guest
I just purchased this receiver. For 7.1 speaker set-up in 210 square foot room (mostly for movies) - what speakers match best? Trying to keep total speaker cost under $2K.

Many thanks - DaveK

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 863
All three of the speaker brands you mentioned are very good choice with your wonderful new Elite[good move] and I would add Monitor Audio to your list. I love my Elite/ MA system and take a look at the MA Silver series. I use the Silver 2 for mains, the Silver center and the Silver1 for surrounds. Very nice.

Bronze Member
Username: Doctor_t

Post Number: 12
This is just my opinion, but I would say with a receiver as an amplifier, you will get the most out of speakers with a nominal impedance of 6 or 8 ohms (as opposed to 4) and sensitivity that's 88db or more, specially if you plan to drive more than 2 speakers with the receiver. I seem to remember reading that the Polk Lsi, while an excellend speaker is 4 ohms, and not easiest load, but I could be wrong. Once you've narrowed down the list, check the specifications for impedance and sensitivity (the sensitivity is somewhat exaggerated by many manuf. so beware.)

Unregistered guest
Thanks for your help guys.

Do you recommend keeping the sub within the same speaker family? I am told that either the Velodyne DLS3750 or Hsu Research VTF-2 MK 2 are both very good and would match up. Any thoughts there?

DaveK

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 85
No need to match the sub, no timbre matching there. Both those are awsome subs, also SVS makes some great subs, and carry cylinder subs which are really cool.

www.svsubwoofers.com

Bronze Member
Username: Scout

Post Number: 15
I have the Polk LSi15's they are awesome, but being a 4 Ohm speaker my Amp The HK AVR 8000 gets smoking hot. If I were to do it again I would try to find something in the 8 ohm and 90db sensitivity. I would look at the Monitor Audio. I am setting up a 2 channel in a listening only room, I am going with the MA silver 2's, really nice sound.
Good Luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Buckcrazy

Post Number: 29
i got pioneer elite 54 with B&W 603 602 AND 600 Centre just love the setup so have fun

Unregistered guest
Thanks again for everyone's input.

I heeded Seth's advice and went with an 8 Ohm speaker deciding to purchase the Boston Acoustic CR77's with the CRC7 center. Instead of going with the Velodyne or Hsu Research sub, I really liked the sound of the B&W ASW600 sub and purchased that too. I should have all set up in my new media room by Turkey day so I will report back as to how this combination sounds in my home. If not - I can always return.

Happy Holidays All - -

DaveK
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us