PLEASE: Vote on systems b4 I buy

Username: Grange

Post Number: 6
OK. Have narrowed my search down to, oh , a half dozen variations. All systems are receiver or separates, 5.1 systems. PLEASE vote on your favorite of the group, and why. Key notes:

Room is 60x35x13 with some offsets for a total cubic footage of 25,000.

Have a wife and 5 month old daughter, so rocking out is not a priotity (much more concerned with quality in the 1/3 of space devoted to home entertainment).

Price is, of course, a consideration. Losing 10% of spec performance for 50% reduction in cost is OK. Better yet, if some of those components make it to the next upgrade.

Now, feel free to weigh in with fact, speculation, answers off the beaten path. Here is my short list of "packages":

Arcam AVR300
Totam Forest
Mite T-C x3
Thunder
Total cost: $11,000

#2:
Arcam AVR300
B&W Nautilus
B&W HTM2
B&W SCM1
B&W ASW
Total: $10,600

Arcam AVR300
Audio Physic New Tempo
Centerii
Yara
James Cinema Subwoofer
Total: $9489

Adcom GFA-7805
Adcom GTP880 (used)
Sonus Faber GrandPiano
Sonus Surround
Sonus Solo
REL 401E
Total: $11,804

Outlaw 950/770
Axiom M80i
Epi 500
Q58
VP150
Total: $5710

Arcam AVR3000
Anthony Gallo Reference 3
Dues
Rel 401E
Total: $8000

Arcam Av8/P7
Focal-JML Chorus S 726S
F-JML 707S
CC700
Rel 401E
Total: $14192

Mixing and matching is fine, if you think another combination. Ancillarly notes: think I like more warmth than brightness, listen to classical, latin, brit-pop of '80s - today, fairly wide ranging. Music/threatre is 60/40.

HELP.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 193
On systems 2 and 7 I would change the sub to a REL Strata5 or the new Storm 5. The Strata5 is much better in the music stakes in my view. The Q-range is better for surround sound.

I'd love to tell you to go with system 7 since the amp is just so capable. In reality I think the Focals will struggle to fill the space.

I know systems 1 and 2 and would probably plump for system 1, but I'd make a change or two and go for Totem Lynks rear speakers which can be used in Bi or Dipole configuration and hang on the wall. I'd also consider going for the Model1 centre if possible. That said, the Mite-T speakers would also make a lot of sense so that system is well balanced as it is.

System 2 has its merits too, but I would change the sub (as above), add a P35 power amp to drive the fronts and biamp the centre from the extra channels of the AVR300.

But I'd love to say system 7 with a strata5 or storm5 instead of the 401E simply because it is a fantastic amp...

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1843
my vote go to #4

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1832
I think I have to go with frank on this one.

Love the arcam setup/prepro and amp! "Top notch"
Love the focal speakers too! Nice and airry!!
"but like he said will they fill the room?"

I don't know about the sub.
The subs I'm use to are (hsu rel svs and velodyne)
with the 1st 3 being very close and velodyne being the value oriented of the bunch!

system 7 for me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us