Help! - I've narrowed it down to 3. Axiom-vs-Ascend_vs_B&W

Username: Pro_v1

Post Number: 2
I just bought a Samsung HLP 5674W along with Denon 2802.

Now I need some help with speakers. I'm considering B&W 601, Ascend CBM 170, and Axiom Mt3i. All have received great reviews, but I have only listened to B&W. They sounded nice but I wasn't blown away. Perhaps I'm expecting too much from bookshelves. I love the looks of the Axioms and the price is great but Ive heard they are a bit bright. Is this true? The Ascends are a bit more expensive, and don't look quite as nice but that doens't matter that much if the sound is right.

Any thoughts?

Bronze Member
Username: Buckcrazy

Post Number: 43
yes you surely are i owned one set of 603 601 and lcr 600 music just blows you away on HT i found the centre kind of muffled try 602 they sound nice i have not heard axioms but i have seen owners who love thier axiom with denon 2805 or 3805 so best is to give it a shot and they offer refund exchange too

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2014
Of all your choices, I would go with the Ascend Acoustics then the Axioms, and ignore the B&W (I just have no love for the 6 series, sounds muffled to me, too)but you may love them.
I found the CBM170 fuller than the Axiom Mt3i and prefer the M22, and the Ascends sound wonderful with Denon(I was using a 3805 so yours could be different).

Username: Jim_mcbob

Post Number: 8
Gregory:

How soon are you going to make your purchase? I plan to audition the Axiom and Ascend speakers in the coming weeks, and will be happy to report my impressions (although, since I plan to use them exclusively for music, not HT, and have a NAD amp, my experience might not be entirely relevant.)

I auditioned B&W 601 and 600s, and, frankly, was a bit underwhelmed, so that leaves the direct-market merchants. As for appearance, my speakers will be wall-mounted. I plan to order the Ascend unfinished and, assuming I keep them, paint to match the wall color. My present speakers--CSW Ensemble II sats--are wall-mounted, painted to match, and nearly invisible. Too bad they sound like crap.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2019
Jim-Bob, are you planning on replacing your Crambridge anytime soon?

I would be nice to hear your take on the Axiom and Ascends.

cheers

Gold Member

Post Number: 2020
Jim-Bob, are you planning on replacing your Crambridge anytime soon?

It would be nice to hear your take on the Axiom and Ascends.

cheers

Username: Pro_v1

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the replies guys!

I'm thinking about ordering both axiom and ascend fronts and then waiting on the center until I decide which I like best. Then I can buy the center after that. I could then use the other pr as my surrounds.

I'm not sure how soon I'll do this but I would like to hear your reviews Jim-Bob.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us