Pioneer VSX 1014 vs. Yamaha HTR 5760

confused-one
Unregistered guest
hello...I'm about to get a new system. The room its going to be in is 13 by 15 ft. Looking for a 7.1 reciever but only going to have a 5.1 speaker system to start. Looking at these 2 recievers, pioneer vsx 1014 and yamaha htr-5760...which would you guys recommend?? Also I need to buy a surround system with it. I was looking at the JBL and the klipsch surround packages, both with a 10 inch powered sub. Do either of these speaker systems go better with either reciever? should i be looking at other brands? this system is going to be used primarily for watching tv and movies...not for music! I'm looking to spend about 1200 total...what would you guys get??

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 813
The Pioneer is a much better match with both speakers and a better unit overall. Much better power supplies and a warmer, smoother sound that helps tame the brightness of both speakers, which are some of the brightest. It sounds like you have been to Best Buy and I would suggest you look at some local specialty shops before buying.

Silver Member
Username: Rkvfire

Vancouver, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 108
the pioneer is great with JBL speakers. my dad has JBL 310 northbridge series.. and they are great together. the pio sucks for music, but what u said ur not useing it for music. excellent for tv and movies.

confused-one
Unregistered guest
good to know...sounds like the pioneer is better. Any other suggestions for speakers?? yes i did go to best buy...I am willing to spend a bit more if there is some other speakers that work better. What does warm and bright mean??

Anon Heredy
Unregistered guest
Again, if it will be used for movies. Nothing beats yamaha. I don't know how you guys choose pioneer over yamaha.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 836
Very simply. Pioneer is a better match with bright speakers like Klipsch and JBL. Yamaha is fine with a warmer speaker like Paradigm. For music it's no choice at all. Like I have said before get out of Best Buy and go to a real store.

Unregistered guest
confused-one,

"Bright" and "warm" are terms that can be used to describe the tone of speakers. "bright" means the speakers accentuate the higher frequencies, and "warm" means they emphasize the lower frequencies.

As for the Pioneer 1014, it is a fine receiver, and I think you'd be very happy with it. I have the VSX-D912, and I've been very satisfied. My only complaint is that if you do video switching with it, it doesn't allow you to adjust the audio and video sources independently.

Best Buy doesn't carry the higher end models of the manufacturers' product lines, but if you like the Pioneer or Yamaha you are looking at, I see no reason to go to a "real store" and pay more.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us