Newbie creating 1st HT system on the cheap

Username: Kdub83

Sacramento, CA

Post Number: 1
I am trying to put together my first home theater system (5.1) while trying to get the most bang I can get for just a few bucks. While pouring over endless CNET reviews, reading these boards, and talking to friends I have come up with the following system:

Marantz SR4400 receiver: $300
Velodyne CHT-10 sub: $235
JBL EC 35 center: $160
Russound SP-H6TT (2 pair)surround: $530

Total: $1225

Any suggests on what I should keep or dump would be much appreciated as well as any similarly priced alternatives. House is prewired for in-ceiling front and back speakers. The russound speakers have an impedance of 6, would that cause any problems? Was also considering the Denon 1804 receiver. Use will be about 50/50 music and movies. Thanks for your input.

monkey man jack
Unregistered guest
Hey dog, you could probably find those speakers on ebay for cheaper than that. If I were you I'd get at least a 12 inch subwoofer. On ebay for $235 you could easily get a really good 12 possibly 15 inch subwoofer.

How many watts does that reciever have? With the reciever you might want something a little better. I mean you get what you pay for. Try to get a THX certified reciever. Because THX certified recievers are usually pretty good because they have to pass certain things in order to be THX certified. However THX recievers are more expensive than non THX ones. But a good brand to get is Onkyo.

For the surround speakers you can get a pair of JBL E50 (Northridge E series) which are a three way with a 8in. woofer,4in. midrange, and a 3/4 tweeter. They are 90-175 watts RMS and 360 watts peak. The pair brand new cost $498.00

I dont really know any nice front left/right speakers that are good except for JBL and PSB, but just the pair themselves would cost you $1,000. Although KLH makes some nice front speakers, like their model 9915's. The 9915's are four way speakers with 15 inch woofers. They are 10-300 watts. And they sound pretty nice. I think thats it unless you have more questions, I hope that this was of help to you.

-Monkey Man Jack

Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 8
check out this link and look at the onix rocket elt 5.1 mighty rocket combo for $935. It is an awesome deal and should sound great with the Marantz. If the $935 is a little too steep you can get the onix rocket elt cherry 5.1 set for $699 (that's actually cheaper than the manufacturers site.

Both speaker sets are awesome.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us