NAD 272 experiences?

Username: Awedio

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 10
I just bought the NAD 272 as u probably know. So far so good. But i still have my Klipsch with it. It is warmer then the AV 753, but i think ill still have to get new speakers. Of course i cant right now especially with a 550$ speeding ticket..:-(. and my next purchase is going to be a sacd/dvda player. anyways, what id like to know is if anyone has had any experience with this amp, and what they liked/disliked about it.

thanks

i

Bronze Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 22
I liked everything about it and the reviews have been very favourable. I have the C372 which is basically the same and am really satisfied. I want to buy a 272 to bi-amp. What pre-amp are you using with this...............

Speakers would be a very good idea if you want to get the best from your 272.

Bronze Member
Username: Awedio

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 12
currently i am using my NAD av753 as a preamp. it works fine. do u think it would be better to get a seperate preamp? another thing id like to know. the 272 says in all reviews and on the website that its 150 wpc @ 8ohms. but in the manual it says 120 wpc @ 8ohms...which is correct? is the manual just a typo?

i

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Typo! 150 per channel. The 270 previous model was 120w.

I would go with the 162 pre-amp for your needs but the 753 will work fine. You could keep your 753 and use it somewhere else.

Bronze Member
Username: Walt_h

Tustin, CA USA

Post Number: 12
Danman. I went to a NAD dealer after work yesterday. He has a floor model C370 for $569. Seems like good value. you agree? ....or should I do the impractical and get the Krell KAV? I know there has been some controversy about the relative merits of the C370 vs. C372. But - seems like a good deal to me. The C162/C272 is around $1300.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Wonderful price!!! Krell will put you back somewhere around 2500$ of your American dollars (I'm Canadian so it is even more 3500$ here!!!) I would once again suggest a listening test and if you plan on keeping this for many years, you may want to consider it but that is a really good price for the 370. Did you like it......

Bronze Member
Username: Walt_h

Tustin, CA USA

Post Number: 13
Danman. Yeah-it sounded really good. Today, I went to a different dealer and listened to it again. Still impressed. Then - he threw me a ringer - - played the Jolida 3000B tube preamp with Jolida JD100A tube CD player into a Balanced Audio solid state amp. Was a knockout. Then played into NAD C370 he already had set up. wow - - a great sound too. Certainly I could hear some minor differences but the BAT was ten times the price of the NAD! The NAD sounded pretty good with the NAD CDP too. All three pieces [the Jolida pre and CD + NAD C272 amp] are about $3K. A lot of sound however. Very very real sounding. He is very high on the NAD C272.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 168
The thing about the C370/C270 and C372/C272 is that they're both nice in their own way. Both have pros and cons. The C370/C270 has a wonderful airy midrange which I definitely prefer to the newer amp (so much space between instruments) and the bass is more tuneful, it really is. HOWEVER, the C372/C272 is warmer and has more detail in the midrange and still has a powerful bass - maybe even better at low volumes than the older pairing. On certain recordings I'd favour one amp and on different recordings the other! Really can't say if one is better than the other, they're so different. I'd pick the older pairing just because of the airy midrange and ever so slightly better bass but you've got to listen to them both in the same system for hours to pick a winner. I've had them all in my possession for weeks at a time - I still own the C160 & C270 and C372. My advice would be to buy the display model C370 and if you don't like it you can move it on for practically the same money. It's a giant-killer, sure others are better but they're not A LOT better.... yet they cost thousands more. What's the point?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Walter...........What a combo! Man that must of sounded sweet! If you can afford it go for it! This is a sound you can love for many years. Sure wish I would of listened to it!

Sorry SunKing I disagree with your advice to buy a 370 and live with it.......I believe that Walter wants a long term commitment and is not scared to invest. Don't just settle for something because the price is good as you will carry that with you after the intial purchase. I made sure that when I bought my 372 I would not look back at the 272-162 combo and say "I should of!" I decided that I was going to have both and plan on getting the 272 next week to bi-amp as I initially planned. Keep looking and listening Walter and you will fall on the combo that suits your ears and peace of mind!

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 171
Danman,

I said that the C370 is a giant-killing amp and that to get tiny improvements for thousands more dollars seems stupid in my opinion. I didn't say "settle for the C370, it's crap but you'll save some money"!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
I would believe there would be more than "tiny" improvements with the equipment he used with the 272. It must of been a real treat!

SunKing, I did not mean to insult and if I did I apologise! I only was trying to say that he should make the initial purchase the right one.

Silver Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 284
Let me just say this: I consider it all depends on what one can consider stupid spending more money! For example, if I had the money, I'de go for a Krell any day over the Nad. I'm free to consider that 1% more of quality makes all the difference. The same way, what is for me 1% more of sound quality can be for the guy next door some good 20%, because for him, it makes all the difference. In fact, it all depends on you ears, and how you feel the music with the different systems. Just an opinion, such as yours, Sun!
Enjoy!

Bronze Member
Username: Spl

Post Number: 11
Ian,

Could you share with us more on your experience when adding the NAD 272 to your NAD 753? I'm in the same boat and I would really want to spend wisely. Before buying, I will bring my AVR to the shop but until then, I'd like to hear comments from those with experience.

When you added the 272, what did improve? Did low volume level or medium level listening improve as well or only the high volume level?

If you haven't purchased the 272, would you still consider buying it or will you look elsewhere?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us