Cleaning products?

Bronze Member
Username: Drumsuck

St. johns, Newfoundland Canada

Post Number: 52
can anyone make any suggestions for LP cleaning agents that don't cost as much as a nitty-gritty machine? i'd like to get one eventually, but i don't have that kind of cash right now.

i have an Exstatic Brush, but i need a wet cleaner.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
For albums that aren't just full of grime you can start with a gentle wash in the sink with very dilute dish liquid soap and warm water. Use a soft towel and warm water. Don't get the label wet and allow to drip dry in a rack. Pat dry when the majority of the water has run off.
Various cleaning agents have been decribed in magazines throughout the years and doubtless are stll archived on the web. There are even articles on making a home brew vacuum cleaning machine out there somewhere. I have an old Dual 1015 which can run at 33, 45 or 78 rpm and will run with the torque of a cleaning brush applied that I use for cleaning some records. Cleaning brushes are available from Music Direct. Find them on the interenet.
Most all cleaners start with 100 grain alcohol or vodka. You can dilute 50/50 and use this before you wash with water on very dirty albums. Discwasher is still available and was, for years, the best wet clean for day to day use. If you use this, just don't use too much. The common problem was to soak the record and then it couldn't dry properly. This just picked up the dirt and left it sitting in the groove where it created more noise than if you had never cleaned with anything. Use a Decca Brush for day to day dry cleaning before each record use. Get a Zerostat while you're at it.

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
Look here:
http://www.musicangle.com/feat.php?id=54

JamesCB
Unregistered guest
"Don't get the label wet"

Ha. Easier said than done. lol.

The cheapest (new, not used) decent cleaner I have seen yet is by Nitty Gritty, sold through www.audioadvisor.com . It's about $200.00.

James

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

There are instructions on the web for building your own vacuum powered cleaner. The inexpensive Nitty Gritty works well but is very ackward and not user friendly in my opinion.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us