Please help me to pick a system

Username: Fxn5467

Post Number: 1
hello all:
first i want to say i'm absolutly new in the audio world. the name like Denon,marantz... are the first time to me and i just realize Yamaha make receiver, so please bear with me.
recently, i want to spend about maximum $US800 (still a student :-( ) for a system , a receiver and a pair floor standing speaker. that's all i need, i don't think i will get rear speaker or center speaker because i am living in a small apartment. for the receiver, i need one sound input from DVD player and one for my computer. and i don't need video input. what i'm look for is clear and detail. usually the music i listen to is soft sounds and i wouldn't play it very loud so if the speaker not good at high volume is ok. please give me some suggestions.
thank you.

fan

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 54
First, given your listening habits I would recommend bookshelf speakers over floor-standers, for the reason that bookshelves have better imaging at lower volumes, where floorstanders need more volume/space to get the most out of.

For your price range your best bet is to buy used off of www.audiogon.com or www.ebay.com. A used product is preferable since you'll get better quality components for cheaper. For receivers/amps you may want to look at factory refurbished since I would personally be more wary of used electronics versus speakers.

Post Number: 2
hi kano:
thanks for your input, i was thinking about Bookshelf speaker first, but after 8 hours reseach sometime they only different by 100 dollars and plus i have to buy a stand for bookshelf. so i'm wondering isthere a notable different between them at low volume?? because i really like the look of some of the floorstanding speakers.
ok here is what i come up with:
athena technologies as-f2 $400 or as-b2 $200
psb-image 4t $369 on ebay or 2B $289
these speakers have good review specially athena tech.
for receiver:
harmon kardon 3480 (nice look) or marantz sr5400 (good review).
these all within my budget.
any suggestions or any other receivers or speakers.
regrat to the listening habits. mostly i will listen to old songs or easy listening songs or pop. my living room size is 15 foot by 17 foot.

thanks

fan

Post Number: 3
and also just notice infinity primus 250 for $400 a pair and give pair of primus 150 for free, is this a good buy?

thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 58
That's a great deal, those Infinitys are good speakers, especially for that price.

Between the two receivers. Both really good. But the Marantz is a 5.1 receiver which you could use down the line to build a 5.1 system from. The Harman Kardon is a 2 channel stereo receiver which would have some more power.

I'd go for the Primus 250s and 150s, plus the Marantz Reciever, then all you need is a centre channel and you have a great 5.1 system for whenever you really want it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us