Dynaudio, Spendor, Paradigm should ...

Username: Dpriwin

Post Number: 9
... be paired with?

My search for the new speakers for my HT/audio setup is moving along. Although I have not been able to listen to some of the great brands you have suggested, so far I really like Dynaudio 52, Spendor S3/5, and Paradigm Studio 40.

Question: which specific receiver would you pair to each of these speakers (I will also purchase center speaker from the same brand/model family)? Please take into consideration that I also want to be able to drive music speakers in a separate zone. Since I am a newbie, what I'm really asking is: can you be model specific? For example, if you suggest that I pair the Studio 40's with Rotel, let me know whether you would choose the 1056 or 1067.

BTW, the rears will be in-ceiling because my wife does not want to look at speaker cabinets.

Thanks for the help

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 138
The Arcam AVR300 and Dynaudios are a very good pairing. There's also the new AVR250 but I have not heard that yet. The Rotel 1056 will also do a reasonable job with the Dyns.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 803
Rotel is a great choice with Paradigm. I agree with Frank about the Arcam and Dynaudio. I can't answer about the Spendor's but I used to have a pair of Rogers ls5 that used the same drivers as Spendor and they worked best with something a bit warmer, maybe NAD or upper level Elite or Marantz. I miss those Rogers as they had the most incredible highs for a small speakers and the most beautiful solid walnut cabinets.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 804
Rotel is a great choice with Paradigm. I agree with Frank about the Arcam and Dynaudio. I can't answer about the Spendor's but I used to have a pair of Rogers ls5 that used the same drivers as Spendor and they worked best with something a bit warmer, maybe NAD or upper level Elite or Marantz. I miss those Rogers as they had the most incredible highs for a small speakers and the most beautiful solid walnut cabinets.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 604
Daniel,

A few months ago I was in the market for a pair of bookshelf speakers for a music only system. My short list came down to the Spendor S3/5's, Dynaudio 52's, and the Quad 12L's. Fine speakers all IMHO. I went with the Spendors, and couldn't be happier. Incredible highs and silky smooth mids. The most accurate speaker I've owned, at any price. I agree with Elitefan about pairing them with a warm receiver. Good luck and enjoy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Rick, elite, thanks for the comments. I will avoid NAD since I am not willing to deal with the potential problems. Which Elite would you recommend? Is a 55 or 56 good enough for these speakers? What about Marantz? Will any of their receivers do it?

I also like the Dynaudio's a whole lot. Again, I've been told to pair them with NAD which I am not willing to do. I have looked into pre-owned separates, possibly Rotel or B&K. What's your opinion on driving either the Dyn's or the Spendor's with that kind of set-up?

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 605
Daniel,

You can never go wrong with seperate components. Both B&K and Rotel are quality gear. I am driving the Spendors with a vintage McIntosh integrated I found on Audiogon. What a sweet combo for 2 channel music. Listen and learn, and I'm sure you will find a system you will enjoy. Cheers!

Bronze Member
Username: Inert

Post Number: 11
I am currently looking for a preamp system to drive the Klip systems i bought today as well. I was initially exposed to B&K, but have also been told the Anthem AVM 30 is nice. Any thoughts? BTW my visit here has been a Goldmine with audiophile information, Ty all again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
There is a large number of quality pre-owned amps out there. Now that you mention vintage McIntosh I should ask my brother if he still has my parents' 1970's amp. He may let me have it in exchange for something new (sneaky little brother).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us