JVC RX-8040

Username: Germkilla

Post Number: 1
I am looking at upgrading my home theater receiver. Is the JVC RX-8040 a decent receiver? I was looking at JVC as all my other components are JVC as well. I would like to keep the price around $300.

If having the same brand for everything doesn't matter, what would a good recommendation be?

Thanks for the help,
Lee

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 793
JVC is terrible, sound and build quality are very low. And you can get whatever brand you want.

I'd suggest Onkyo SR601 or H/K AVR230.

Username: Beefeater267

Post Number: 8
I couldn't disagree more. I have the RX8040 and it is perfect. Sounds amazing! I'd highly recommend it

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1670
JVC makes great products, so don't fret.

Silver Member

Post Number: 799
So everything is great in your opinion? What's bad then?

Unregistered guest
Don't agree or disagree with any of the comments.

What I would suggest are some opinions as to specifically "what", "why" and "compared to what" so we can all learn something based on some relevant information/reviews.

Something meaningful instead of a jousting match.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1671
I never made a claim that everything is great. This is an open forum so don't get your pants in a bind when someone disagrees with you, so relax. I never had a bad experience with JVC so I think they are great. They've been around for a while and I haven't encountered an unhappy owner. Except maybe for their camcorders, but it is usually user error for the most part:-)

Here are some potentially bad products, if some people here disagree, hey, that's great, I won't get mad:-)
Digital Vision
Kinyo
Pyramid
Coby
Theater Innovations
Dogg Digital
Theater Research
cheaply made products and some are sold out the back of a truck and can be seen en masse at flea markets and usually in the bargain bin.

Products I've had problems
Sony STR series - tends to overheat and really don't sound all that good.
Phillips - lousy sounding receivers but great DVD players
Sharp - their aquos line is a joke, I returned one because the picture quality is not all that great, the 22" is better than most but the black levels are not as they should be, excellent for the kid's room.

Silver Member

Post Number: 802
My experience with JVC is that they sound ultra bright and have low power and build quality.

Unregistered guest
Lee, many JVC consumer reviews are posted below - although not the 8040:
http://audioreview.com/A-V,Receivers/PLS_2718_740crx.aspx

If you have not already read it, an editorial review:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?print_page=y&section_id=5&article_i d=658&page_number=2&preview=

Gold Member

Post Number: 1672
Lee, I don't know if you are still around, but I managed to contact a friend of mine who carries a lot of JVC products, particularly the RX-8040B. He deals with a lot of karaoke stuff and receivers. He was kind enough to send me a receiver to peruse while an associate of ours is in the area. It will arrive tomorrow and I can play with it for 2 days before it goes back. I'll check it out and post my findings. Unless of course you already purchased the product and the point is moot.
cheers

Bronze Member
Username: Sinkdrain

Post Number: 20
Berny I would be interested in your review, as well. I am in the process of replacing my exclusively JVC audo systm starting with an H/K receiver. A raving review certainly wouldnt change my mind about Harman Kardon. However, I would find it interesting.

Post Number: 2
Berny,

I am still around. Didn't get a chance to check the thread over the weekend. Anyway, I would love to know how the 8040 fairs. Did you try the midnight mode? I have an older JVC receiver that I want to replace (RX670, I think) and haven't had a problem with it. Just want to get some of the newer formats (DTS, ...) and want to make a good choice. =]

On a seperate note, the 8040 has 130w/channel. Some of the other models mentioned have 50-80w/channel. What difference does that make in terms of volume and sound?

Thanks for the discussion!
Lee

Silver Member

Post Number: 807
If I would have to guess I would say the JVC 130wpc is really something like 30wpc.

Bronze Member
Username: Beefeater267

Post Number: 12
I own the 8040. It has done nothing but serve me well with its usage so far. One of my buddies has the same model and he loves it too. Sure, some people like it and some dont... but, I believe this is a good quality product with good sound.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1701
After much playing around in the set-up the RX8040 was finally ready to play. Well, I just hooked up the dvd player, a pioneer 563A and Axiom M60 with vp150 center. I also hooked it up to a set of Athena ASF2 and ASC1. I used music from Queen A Night at the Opera, Al Jarreau and David Benoit, all in high definition surround format. And for movies I tried out LOTR and Blade 2.

Overall, it was not a bad experience. A little on the bright side but well detailed and not overly fatiguing, but it probably has a lot to do with the speakers I am using. For movies, the dialogue performed really well and centered but I was not impressed with the way it handled the surrounds. It felt like it is drawing you to the sounds coming from the speakers as opposed to immersing you in the movie experience, I like subtlety not boldness. Your preference may vary, as a friend of mine like that in your face type of surround effects. The music surround sound format is excellent and very immersive, it's like being on stage with the artists, but stereo performance is horrible, staging seems off somehow, it's like the performer is on 2 separate speakers. None of my friends who came for a listen did not like this at all, ugh!

We then tried for the loudness, and boy this thing got uncomfortably loud with no signs of clipping.

The consensus was, this JVC is a good HT receiver but better for music. For the price, it could be better.

Post Number: 3
Berny,

Thanks for the review -- I was a little dis-heartened by the "good" rating on the HT part. I use mine probably 95% HT / 5% music.

What would your recommendation be for an excellent HT receiver (~$300)?

Thanks!
Lee

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 275
Lee...check out the Pioneer 914, the 1014 is much better from what I have heard but I believe it's $400. The Pioneer 914 can be had at $300 or less. I had this unit for a few weeks for a in home demo and I must say for the price it performed quite well in both HT and Music, the MCCAC is also a nice feature for speaker setup. I would describe this receiver as neutral to slighty warm with particular attention to clear mids and highs, the bass was tight albeit I didn't play any movies/music that would have strained it. I would recommend this receiver without question at the price it is offered at. I don't know what speakers you have, but I tested this receiver with both my Wharfedales and Infinity speakers with good results both ways.

Username: Jvc

NC

Post Number: 1
I think you'll be very happy with the 8040 receiver. I have the 8020 and am very happy with it. I was surprised to hear anyone say that JVC is bright sounding, because I don't hear that at all. It must be the speakers they are using. The thing I like about JVC is the inputs and features you get for the money. Compare the JVC with another brand at the same price, and I think you'll find the JVC has more power, inputs and features, for the money. Very few, if ANY, receivers actually have the power that's advertised for them. My receiver, with it's 100 w/channel, can be made too loud to listen to. Plenty of power for almost anyone. JVC is proof that you don't have to spend rediculous amounts of money, to get great equipment.
Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us