Klipsch Horns?

Bronze Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 86
When I was a kid ( mid 80's) I used to go to the local stereo store and listen to these and they sounded like a concert. LIVE I may add.

Is there anything comparable these days? I know that the Klipsch only took a few watts to drive them too, which was cool no high end amps needed.

Anything like them these days? I see them on eBay every once in a while for over two grand but my issue is I can't pay shipping for the things and I am not confident to spend that much for a used speaker.

Is there anything comparable in home speakers these days? I am talking only for two speakers powered by today's amps.

Thanks

Mike

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

No, the Horns were and are unique. The bifold horns from Klipsch are as good, they use the same components, but the trifold Cornerhorns were the top. There are plans on line to build a similar speaker to the Cornerhorn if you are handy with tools. Just put Klipsch Cornerhorn into a search and you will come across the plans.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 134
You can still buy Klipschorns new, but they run about 7K$. So a pair on ebay is a better deal. They age very well if they are well taken care of, and there are many experts online who can help you with any repairs or upgrades (e.g. updated crossovers). Visit the Klipsch forum on updates and modifications to see what I mean.

I have a pair of 31 year old La Scalas that I will never get rid of. They use the same components as Klipschorns but don't go as low in frequency response (one fold on the bass horn instead of two). A Hsu sub fixes that. That's another way to go, specially if you don't have the proper room geometry for corner Klipschorns. You can get used La Scalas on ebay plus a new sub for less than used Klipschorns, and shipping is a bit easier (but they still weight 125 lbs each).

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

The LaScalas are a better choice for an all round speaker than the Horns. Much easier to place and they give up a minor amount on the bottom. But you loose two dB efficiency; 102 vs 104. You may have to step up to a twenty watt amp with the LaScala. (The LaScala was the simple cabinet and the Belle was the fancy woodworked version of the same design.)

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 135
No, the La Scala have the same efficiency as the Klipschorn (same drivers after all). See:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=6&section=specs

Strangely, 25 years ago the efficiency was listed as 104 dB at 1W and 4 feet and I had seen it somewhere as 106 dB at 1W and 1m. I still have the glossy page listing it at 4 feet.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

You are correct. I was thinking of the Cornwall which is not a horn loaded bass cabinet. But Klipsch seems to have made an error also, in that they list the Belle at 103 dB and the LaScalla at 104 dB. They are the same speaker in a different cabinet. And my literature from Klipsch in the 70's show all three speakers at the same efficiency. But Klipsch used several methods of measuring their speakers. I have lit that shows the LaScala at an output level of 100 dB at two feet. There appears to be a variety of measurements that someone might get for a Klipsch speaker.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1681
tafkam if you check dj shops or music stores "where they sell equipment"

you can find many high effecincy horn based systems.

you may find something there your looking for.
"not saying the same quality as the old klipsch"
but usually very well priced and don't need to be shipped.
and will also produce that live sound!

you can find brands like EV,PEAVY,JBL AND YAMAHA among others.

Bronze Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 89
Thanks everyone some good advice here, I will start doing some research
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us