Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 74
I'm having some problems setting up my hew Denon 2910. My system includes:

Marantz SR7400 receiver
Denon 2910 DVD player
Boston VR2 front speakers
Boston VRC center speaker
Klipsch SB1 surrounds (my next replacement project)

I've made the DVD>receiver connection through the 5.1 inputs. My problem is with the setup menu.

Should the Klipsch's be set for large or small?

I am totally confused on how the digtal output (normal or PCM) should be set as well as the LPCM (44.1kHz/48kHz) should be set (off or on?)

As I understand it, the source direct should be set to "on" once the speakers are all set. Is this correct?

I figure some of you that have the Denon 2200 or 2900 may have gone through similiar setup menus. I'd just like to know how you've done it and welcome any thoughts...

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 978
On your speaker settings where it says large, small or none, is there also a filter that allows you to toggle on or off?

What are the lower end frequencies of you speakers?

Switch the digital output to normal.

What do you mean by 'source direct'? Do you mean on the receiver or 'Pure Direct' on the 2200?

But please explain your problems and I/we may have a better understanding of how to help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
The audio setup page first asks me to set the audio channel. The choices are "multi channel", 2 CH (SRS on), or 2 CH (SRS off). I set this to "multi" and I get another page which starts with "Speaker Configuration". If I choose that, a new page comes up with four settings (Front SP, Center SP, Subwoofer, Surround SP). You have a choice of yes or no on the sub and large or small on the other five. I have these set to yes with large on all of the others.

The Klipsch SB-1's are rated at 60 HZ on the low end.

The source direct setting is on BOTH the receiver and the DVD player. The receiver also has a 7.1 switch which must be on to listen to anything hooked up to those inputs. The manual for the DVD player says switching source direct on will result in the setting of the DTS recommended all-channel, full bandwith playback. It will increase the subwoofer volume by 5 dB and 15 dB on any SACD. The default setting for this , however, is "off".

You can actually look at the manual here:

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/DVD2910%20DFU3.pdf

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
I forgot to add, the audio setup is on pgs.36-38.

Silver Member

Post Number: 981
Okay, It sounds similar to my Denon 2900 - the source direct is called a 'filter' on the 2900's setup. The default is "on" and setting the speakers to small engages the 80hz hi/low pass crossover. Switching to "off" adds 5db for DVDs and 15db for SACD's and all speakers will be set to large.

As recommended by Denon, for DD and DTS DVD-V's I use the digital connection to my SR-7300 so it's decoders do the work. Naturally, for DVD-A and SACD the 5.1 outputs from the Denon are fed to the 7.1 input section of the Sr-7300. The source direct on the 7300 has no value when using the 7.1 analogue inputs.

Now, initally on the DVD player I had my speakers set to small, the 80hz crossover to the sub, and the default setting "on" for the filter (source direct on yours). My speaker range between 50hz and 60hz on the lower end.

I use an SPL meter to set my speaker's audio levels (not the sub - this took a bit of trial and error to get it right for both DVD-A and SACD).

Once having everything where I thought was right - I was stunned by the sound of both formats - on good recordings - until I tested the difference while playing a very well recorded CD (Two Against Nature -Steely Dan) and the DVD-A version. I set them to play in the same place so I could toggle between the CD and the DVD-A (in multi-channel) at the same place so I could scrutinize the difference.

I was shocked. While the DVD-A had a better soundstage the resolution did appear much better. So I switched the filter to off, all speaker became set to large, made several adjustments to the sub settings because it took a few listens to various recordings and now the difference is night and day. The hi-rez is doubly as amazing from the previous settings. I also have a suspicion that many recent CD's are recorded in 24 bit and this may be why there was little differece in resolution using those first settings.

So it takes a little experimenting and tweaking to get things right. I believe it is difficult to set the player to do all the decoding for movies and hi-rez without having to make changes on the fly - which is why I believe Denon suggests using the reciever to handle DD and DTS decoding.

The main difference in the setup as I see it between the 2200 and the 2900 is the filter (2900) and source direct (2200) - the 2200 the default is ON and the 2900 the default is OFF - wierd!

I hope this helps. I'll check the 2200 pdf when I have more time and let you know if I see anything that might assist.

Silver Member

Post Number: 984
Okay, I read the manual - the setup is a bit different from the 2900. The filter I spoke of and the source direct option are not what I thought.

Your 7400 is 100khz capable so switch the SACD filter to 100hkz.

Do not use the Denon's source direct for multichanel hi-rez as it will cancel your speaker settings.

Good Luck

Silver Member

Post Number: 985
And the LPCM (44.1kHz/48kHz) should be set to on when playing 2 channel LPCM Audio DVD's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
MR-

Thanks. Like I said, I figured some kind soul who had a 2200 or 2900 would offer some advice.

I'll give your suggestions a try...

Silver Member

Post Number: 990
Robert,

I may be wrong but I think the source direct on the Denon may give pure DSD for SACD playback when activated. I think when using bass management with this new model it converts the DSD to LPCM. So you can use source direct but it may depend on speaker placement as to how it sounds in DSD.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us