Music from a sacd audio on a computer

Username: Ariel

Post Number: 1
I just bought a new cd which is a sacd, and I want to hear music on my pc (windows xp). I cannot. why ? should I download some software ?

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 501
the sacd will not play on your computer unless it
has a standard cd layer also. "read the label"

you need an sacd player to play an sacd disk.

Anonymous

i bought a hybrid sacd that's supposed to play on all CD players ... but it won't on my laptop DVD-CD-RW drive .

what to do ?

Post Number: 2
I read the label: "plays on all sacd and cd players" (kletztory, i musici montreal, ed. chandos, ref. chsa 5027, recorded in dsd).
I check my player. hardware: toshiba "combo" dvd-rom sd-r2102, on a compaq presario; software: windows media player for xp.
In fact my computer, at work, can read the cd...
with with anothe cd player, and another version of windows media player (version 9).
I will download this version at home and check again.

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 163
If the same SACD plays on other equipment then it would seem to be ok. You may want to check to see if there is a driver update available for the Toshiba "combo" drive on your computer (presumably combo means CD and DVD capabilities?).

Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if there is a sound card that I can purchase for my PC that will decode and play SACDs? Im aware of cards that do this fine with DVDs but Id like the SACD decoding facility for my PC. Id be extremely grateful for any help/suggestions.

Jakeman28658
Unregistered guest
It Doesnt Work! Ive Tried Everything!

Post Number: 3
hi, in fact, as I said, my (dell) pc at lab can read the sacd, with a HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B (!) cd player, and windows media player version 9.0.0.2980, while my compaq at home with the same windows media player installed, still cannot read the sacd. I suspect that it depends on the time when the player was bought, as said Ghia. I'll focus on the driver of the Toshiba. Thanks

Username: Barkingpig

Post Number: 6
Jon, i'm afraid there is no software/hardware for playing SACD on pc period.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1808
It is intended to be that way. The objective is "copy protection".

Bronze Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 31
Just in case it is of any help: A friend of mine had difficulties too with reading CD layer on hybrids. In this case due to software configuration. The program he used (Nero) was set up for DVD mode. So it (unsuccessfully) tried to read SACD layer. Solution: just changing to CD mode i order to read CD layer.

Anyhow, as Mr. A. says, SACD layer contains rather sophisticated copy protection. Out of scope for existing hardware.

Cheers
AL

Anonymous

I ran across this ... not sure that this is the best solution since you have to play it from the the image ... but it's a start.

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=17238008

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 126
Interesting, but how to obtain the disc image? Haven't seen any DVD combo reading SACD discs.

Dave_dc
Unregistered guest
Many CD drives for PCs cannot read the CD layer of Hybrid discs. Check your drive model with the manufacturer web site.

As for PC drives reading SACD I don't know of any, and given the strong anti-piracy policy Sony don't ever intend to make it easy.

Anonymous

Ariel,
Don't be too discouraged.. most of what you are being told is true.. but not the answer to your question.

Yes, you should be able to put a disc coded with SACD information into your CD-Rom drive and play it.. but.. you won't get any of the "SA" features or content on the disk. All that extra channel information is coded and layered for the extra laser pick-up found in a hardware SACD player. Since your PC doesn't have this.. it will simply play the media as if it were just another dumb CD.

Check the usual suspects.. How old is your drive? How old is your IDE/SCSI controller? How old is the codec you're trying to use? How old is the software control engine (player) you're using? If your hardware isn't ancient (by computer standards) then a couple of driver updates should put you on the right track. There is a chance that your hardware just needs to be replaced. ... sorry about that.. but the media is a bit different. The laptop I gave my wife a few years ago won't read CDR or CDRW media.. same general principle.

Not being able to play a SACD in full glory on your PC has NOTHING TO DO WITH COPY PROTECTION.. it has to do with the architecture of the media and the compression method employed. DVD-Audio actually has a few more security components than SACD does, but since it uses the same hardware configuration for extraction and MLP decompression processing, you can slap a SounBlaster Audigy2 in/on your computer and get at all those lovely compressed bits of auditory joy.

If SACD actually survives the battle with DVD-Audio you should see compatible disk drives on the market in a few years.

Hang in there.. and stop listening to people on the internet.. they're all crazy..

Unregistered guest
New technology may be on the way:
www.stereophile.com/shownews.cgi?1576

ripperx
Unregistered guest
can everyone here say "Fair Use Act"?

Username: Coxxx

Bellflower, Ca Usa

Post Number: 1
i'm searching for the best av receiver and 5.1 speakers under $300 each I need some help can someone help me! I've found some choices but I want more advice thanx!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us