4 Speakers on 2 Channel Amp

Username: Vicf23

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I've got a 2 Channel Stereo amp that I have 2 8 Ohm speakers attached to, but I want to add 2 more 8 Ohm speakers to the system, in a diffrent spot in the room. The system already get insanly loud form the pre-amp in the equilizer so i'm not really worried about volume, but whats the best way to wire it? Is a paralell, or series wiring scheme best?

Thanks,
Vic

Bronze Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 92
I would not do it at all! If your amp does not have room for more speakers, stay away! It will go poooof! Get yourself an amp with seperate channels.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Wiring speakers in series will raise the impedance load the amp sees. This is always the safest way to go (to a point) with a solid state amp.

Post Number: 2
Hey,

Why would adding more speakers make the amp go pooof? Wouldn't more speakers use the same amount of current that was avalivble on that channel already?

Bronze Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 97
If your amp is not made to handle the difference in load, you are going to have problems.If you use 8 ohm speakers, you will drop the load to 4 ohms on your amp causing it to use more power than it may have been developed for.

Wiring in series is the safest way BUT if your amp is not able to handle this it will shut down.

Post Number: 3
So, today I pulled out the tools. And went with wiring my speakers together in series. It worked great! Thanks for all ur help.

,Victor

Unregistered guest
is there a device that will allow you to add more speakers. i want to add 2 more to my 4 speaker system
dan

matt75445355
Unregistered guest
no
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us