Receiver advice: SR602, AVR330, other?

Username: Jbroadus

Seattle, WA US

Post Number: 1
I'm looking for a receiver in the $500 range. The primary use will be cinema, but music is important as well. My speakers are JBL SCS150SI (5.1). Currently I'm considering:
Onkyo SR602
HK AVR330

What I gather from this forum is that HK makes better systems, but should I be concerned with the 55W per channel?

I was also looking at the Marantz 5400, but it's my understanding that this is primarily a music machine. I'd also like to keep open the 7.1 option.

I also hear that Yamaha and Denon are not good matches for these lower end speakers.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 232
You are correct on the H/k being better, as far as the watts don't worry. H/K is realistic in the numbers and in reality the Onkyo you mention probably does not produce any more than the H/K. Both JBL and H/K are sister companies so their products will match well together. Also, I consider the JBL to be a bit on the bright side so the Yamaha and Denon (typically being bright as well) would not be a suitable match unless you like it bright.

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 233
Also consider the Pioneer 1014 which retails at $400 or the Kenwood Sovereign VR5700 $480 (refurbished at www.ecost.com)

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 808
IMO Marantz's are good for everything. With music the better SQ really comes forth, but it's not a bad thing with movies either. More details, full sound, good bass. The new SR5500 will give you 7.1.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 136
Wait for the Marantz SR5500 or the HK335. Either one will do an admirable job with movies and have a nice warm, detailed sound for music as well.

Seattle, WA US

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the replies. Is there information available on release dates and MSRPs for the SR5500 and AVR335? I assume they will initially cost quite a bit more than the previous units (I assume the old models have recently dropped in price in anticipation of the new models)

Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 137
The prices for the HK line should be the same. The Marantz, I am not quite sure about yet.

Seattle, WA US

Post Number: 3
I see the prices on the 330 and 430 are dropping. I can pick up the 430 for under $600 and Vann's. Otherwise, I'll probably pick up the 335 when it's available.

Is there available information about the differences between the x30 and x35 lines? I do like the rs232 port on the 430. I assume this won't be available on the 335.

Thanks.

Seattle, WA US

Post Number: 4
Found the HK press release. No rs232 on the 335.

http://www.harmankardon.com/news_reviews/CEDIA%202004%20(AVRs).pdf
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us