IRD MB-100 Monoblock? Any reviews

Username: Disco_stan

Post Number: 49
Im looking at upgrading my HTS with these monoblocks and for the price isn't bad either. I would like to know the reviews on this item and woundering if these are good amps to start out with.

Post Number: 50
Reason why im upgrading is because im noticing harsh playback levels and I think I had enough with my pre/pro, so now Im going to try something new; using monoblocks. Im still not sure what I all need to do this so If I could get some help and recommedations that would be great.

Username: Gman

Post Number: 129
I saw it at $279. Seems fine, but I have never seen or heard them. But If I were getting mononblocks I would probably get the Outlaw Audio ones that are 200 watts, rather than the 100 watts of the IRD's. Plus they are only $20 more. Also, if you order 4 monoblock 200's from Outlaw Audio they throw in one for free. Actually I think the prices get cheaper the more monoblocks you buy.

Of course, I don't know what preamp/receiver and speakers you have. So I don't know what you are trying to replace and what you are adding monoamps to.

An advantage of Outlaw is they let you try them for 30 days. If you don't like them you can return them--at your freight expense though.

Then again, I don't know why you aren't buying a 5-channel amp. You can always add monoblocks later when you go to 6.1 or 7.1.

I would rather have a 5-channel amp. I don't want an amp behind every speaker for one reason. Or if you are piling them together and not behind the speakers, what is the point? But if you put them behind every speaker it ends up costing you a lot of money on long interconnects to the preamp. Good speaker wire is far cheaper than interconnects.

Post Number: 51
Well 100 watts/ch. is plenty loud for me right now, its just that with my current system, my movie listening volume is peaking a little bit.

I have Fluance speakers, sub and the JVC 8010, soon to be upgrading everything. This was just a system I put together to see if I will really wanted to get into this hobby which I am, since my room isn't big enough for 6.1 or 7.1 I'll just stick with 5.1.

So you recommend just getting a 5-ch. amp, any other brands that you would recommend.

Username: Gman

Post Number: 131

A receiver that has a better amp and preamp section would probably do fine in your situation. Much depends on whether you are choosing to keep the Fluance speakers or plan on upgrading them too. But a NAD receiver, or some other that has the power envelope you want and the quality preamp section you want (along with features you want)might be the way to go.

If you are happy with your system but feel you need more power, you need to see if your JVC has the pre-outs to attach an additional amplifier. If it doesn't, buying an amp won't help.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us