Baffle for ceiling speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Tsl90

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 31
Hope to install my rear B&WCCM65s this weekend. I was concerned to see how open they are in the back. I've seen foam baffles for car speakers that would protect the rear of the speaker from dust and stray insulation (hopefully water won't ever be an issue). I was wondering if that would be a good idea.

Do people just leave the bare open back of the speaker open to the attic on ceiling installations?

Thanks

TL

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Yes, as long as the mounting is secure enought that there will be no air leaks. When you maount a speaker in a wall or ceilng you create, when no air leaks, what is called an infinite baffle. It goes back to a time in audio when there were no prepared speakers and people put drivers in their walls, closet doors and fireplaces. When the back wave of the woofer cannot come around the baffle the wave cannot cancel the bass wave from the front of the driver. You can place a layer of fiberglass insulation over the back of the driver for a bit extra isolation of the driver but that is all that is needed. (Do not use foam as it is against fire codes.) Use a bit of rope caulk on the front where it meets the drywall for a good seal.

Bronze Member

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 32
J.

Thanks for the reply. As I understand you you're voting "no" on the foam baffle. I can understand putting a layer of paper-backed fiberglass insulation over the speaker, but my attic is well insulated with 12+ inches of loose white (fiberglass? I don't think it's what I'd call foam) clumps. Even if I try not to cover the open speaker with it I know eventually clumps will make there way into the speaker. That's why I thought a foam baffle might be a good idea.

Thanks again

TL

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

What you have is cellulose insulation, made from ground up paper. Don't try to put that over the speaker, it will migrate. If you want to try a few pieces of fiberglass insulation used for sound insulation that would be fine, it has no paper backing as a moisture barrier. Sound waves can pass through but will meet mild resistance.
There is no need to try to create a box for a ceiling speaker. If you are curious whether a box would add to the sound of the speaker you can experiment with a heavy cardboard packing box stuffed full of loosely crumpled newspaper. Leave enough space that the paper doesn't interfere with the speaker and give a listen. If it helps then you can proceed further.
Other wise just leave the speaker open to the attic space and protect it from the cellulose. Foam is against code since it will burn so quickly and at such high temperature. Better safe than sorry.

Bronze Member

Edmond, OK United States

Post Number: 33
Thanks again.

I installed yesterday. The previous owner left some scraps of the material trampolines are made of in my attic. I used some of it to create barriers on either side of the speakers between the ceiling joists. This seems to keep the insulation from rolling in from either side pretty well. Right now there's nothing behind/above the speakers, but I may cut a piece to cover that too, just to protect them further from insulation and other debris. I'm hoping this would interfere minimally with the sound.

I've come across another issue. I have not yet placed the grilles on the speakers because I can't figure out how to lock them in place, or how to remove them once they are on. It appears that they just press into place and presumably will stay there. But they need to be removed to adjust the HF controls and tweeter assembly. Once it's on I can't imagine how I'd get it off. Do you or does any one else have any experience with this.

I'm still waiting on my receiver so I haven't heard my speakers yet. Even if they sound great I will be a little disappointed with B&W. Their stuff isn't cheap, and while it seems to be built well and packaged nicely - the instruction manual is of very little value. I was impressed how well the template for cutting the ceiling hole worked though.

TL

Can you tell me how to lock the grill onto the speaker, and once it's on how to remove it to adjust the tweeter assembly and HF controls?

Thanks

TL

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Sorry, I don't know the B&W ceiling speakers. Call the dealer you bought from, or give B&W a call or email.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us