WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED

God
Unregistered guest
I recently moved my system to another room in my house, and the sound degraded from a hi-fi worthy system to less then low end Sony worth sound.:S What happened?

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 102
Check your connections... oh deity. Please forgive me if I don't call you.... g..d. You may have a stray wire touching the chasis or other terminal? The room could be bigger... have more of an echoic affect or anechoic affect. The room can play with the sounds... carpeting, walls, other reflective surfaces. These all play part.

OR, you just dropped it on the way to the other room, and don't want to admit it! :-)

Username: Unicronwmd

Post Number: 40
Rooms play a VERY big part in the sound of your system. Play with your speaker placements and change your receiver's settings for the new room. I have a problem too. My sub sounds amazing evrywhere but the sweet spot and NO ONE can help me with that:-( It is about -8db in the sweet spot alone. Oh well.

Anyways, God wouldn't have these kind of problems with his home theater. Have a little respect for yourself and others and DON'T use that name again doG!

Mac7
Unregistered guest
HAHA,
Sorry If that offended you, my new names Mac7. I didnt mean offence in anyway.

But back to the real question the system is a kenwood home theater in a box I got for Christmas. The box says KENWOOD HTB806. Is this a good system?

My Main Question: I had it set up in a bedroom, but later put it out in out living room so I could test out the DVD. The sound went from awsome(I was blown away at first)then when I rehooked it up it sounded horrible. Well not horrible the sound quality is the same but the bass is very thin and almost nonexistant even with the sub on 3/4 of max. I tried playing with the subwoofer and moving it around with less outcome than wanted. DO you think buying a new subwoofer cable would improve bass output at all?

Post Number: 103
It sounds like it's the room. Your bedroom is smaller than your living room? Are they both carpeted? Is the living room open? What kind of celings? You see, the sound/speakers react to the room it's in... there's nothing you can do about that, but change the room.

Post Number: 104
Oh... also check the polarity of the speakers. You may have hooked them up wrong and they are out of phase. (Just something that sometimes people do wrong.) Red goes to Red and Black goes to... Black. :-)

Post Number: 41
It is the room. Also, your "sub" is only a 8" woofer. You can only ask so much of a 8" woofer. Go to RadioShack and get a 25' RCA cable for $5. Pop in a CD and repeat the same song over and over. Make sure the song has good solid bass. Now, sit in the listening position and listen for a bit. Then move the sub to a different parts of the room and keep the volume at the same level. Try the corners first. If this doesn't help too much. Then move the sub next to the listing position. Near the couch would be good but try to keep it by a wall to reinforce the bass.

Hope this helps man.

Post Number: 42
QUOTE:Red goes to Red and Black goes to... Black

HeHehe I haven't use red and black speaker wire in over 15 years:-) The again, you might be talking about the terminals but I still found it funny:-)

Post Number: 107
WMD: nice "troubleshooting" steps. I'll have to remember those!

Post Number: 108
WMD: yeah, I was talking abou tthe terminals. Wiseguy. :-)

Post Number: 43
GeekBoy, I know but some HT in a box have the cheap red/white and black 18-24ga wire.

I will never buy a HT in a box untill the make 14ga wire a standard, add 2 5,000watt 18" subwoofers, and everything is THX-Certified:-) All that and I bet you the 14ga wire will still be red and black:P

Username: Project6

Post Number: 112
have you tried re-calibrating the receiver. sometimes when you move things around the receiver goes back to the default setting and the subwoofer output levels get put back to the original factory setting.
It could also be your bed affecting the sub...a bed is a big sound dampening material

cheers

Mac7
Unregistered guest
I think I just solved the problem :-)
I moved the subwoofer to the rear corner of the room and I also picked up a good long sub cable that let my run the sub to the rear corner of the room.I also picked up a Monster power bar today. The bass out of the sub is awsome now. I will go buy some better speaker cables tonight and see how much differnce that makes:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us