Help! Urgent advice needed on Sub Woofer

Bronze Member
Username: Smittykit

Post Number: 12
Hi folks,

I bought a new Polk Audio PSW202 Sub for about GBP130. It sounded fine for movies. However, when playing music (S-Direct) it didn't sound quite up to expectation. My spouse even mentioned that my L/R speakers bass sounded better, which I agreed with her.

My H/W as follow;
- Rotel RCD-02 (CD Player)
- Marantz SR6300
- L/R Speakers Wharfedale Crystal 40 (Tower)

One query which I have is, should the Sub be on for music? (S-Direct) Sub is set to "on" by default on my AV Receiver and it doesn't allow me to "off" it.

The shop I bought it was kind enought to let me test out the PSW202 for a week, if I don't like it, I'm given the option to up-grade to a better one. I'm thinking of Definitive SuperCube II at about GBP250 (double up from PSW202). Should I just stick to the PSW202 or should I go for the SuperCube II? Is there anything which I can try setting to improve the PSW202 performance?

Cheers!
Dan

Bronze Member
Username: Nm2285

Delaware

Post Number: 24
Supercube II should be a huge step up. The 202 is OK, but it's an entry level sub that's not really meant to be for music.

My best advice would be listen to the Supercube. Also look into SVS and HSU.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I tried lowering the db level for my sub in the receiver to about -5 db and the sub now blends in much better with the speakers. =)

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 160
Hi Dan...I am just curious about your Wharfedale speakers, how would you describe the sound? I have the Diamond 8.3/8.1 series and I am quite happy :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Hi vols,
honestly speaking I've just got into this audio interest for a couple of mths & I'm not really experienced nor have I tried other speakers.
But I can say that my pair of CR40 is a good entry level speakers and worth the money I paid for. (< GBP 250) I say the speakers do sound better at the shop..oh well, it's due to the 10K over worth of hardware there!

Cheers!

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
dan...I am quite new as well, it's good to hear from other owners. I sometimes have a hard time believing what I hear out of my speakers for the price I paid, I almost feel guilty :-)

They are certainly a great bargain, it's a shame that more people here in the U.S. don't have them. I would imagine it's due to their scarcity in stores. I took the plunge based on reviews in magazines, people here, and other reviews on the net. It was a blind (or should I say deaf) purchase but I am glad I did it.

The Def Techs you mention are quite astounding in my opinion, I demo'd them a few weeks ago. Well good luck in your purchase and it's nice to talk to a fellow Brit!

Cheers!

Bronze Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 14
I got the PSW202 initially with my system. I took it back when it started popping in Matrix 2 when the Hovercraft comes in to rescue them after Neo stopped the sentinals with his hand.

ANYWAY, the sound is ok, but not enough power, you see it included with a micro system from Polk. I upgraded to the 404 and am much happier with it. Although for double the cost there are many other options.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Hi Vols,

I'm not from Brit but from Singapore. Well I do work for a Brit Company (Cable & Wireless) heh. Definitive is awsome but it will cost more than my pair or L/R speakers (weird?)

I got my Polk tuned up and it sounds acceptable to me now.

Nice to hear from you :-)

Cheers!

Silver Member

Post Number: 277
Good, I am glad to hear it sounds better. You are right on the cost of subs. When I first got into the hi-fi upgrade I could not believe a sub could cost $1000 and more! I had a hard time beleiving the prices for other kit as well. Having experienced several different combos at local hi-fi shops I soon came to the realization of cost/benefit. Anyway, it's good to talk to you too, I like it when I find someone else with Wharfedales because I beleive them to be a superb buy in terms of cost/benefit. Good luck with your purchase.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us