Speaker Maintenance

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 866
I've been told that Armourall (TM) is a good product for helping to preserve the foam and/or rubber speaker surrounds. We had mild to very hot humid weather and no air con and was told this could have a perishing effect on the surround material.

Does anyone agree/disagree with this or know of something that would be a better treatment.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1706
That silicon spray does not mix well with rubber in the long run. The speakers are not exposed to the elements so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 50
I wouldn't use ArmorAll on anything I wanted to keep. It's just bad news.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

RANTZ! Stop rubbing your driver!

Silver Member

Post Number: 877
Okay, thanks all!

J.V. But I am the driver - oh!

Actually I was hoping for your input on this - do you agree with the others?

barnaby30000
Unregistered guest
Just had a set of 15's refurbished out of my pioneer cs-d9900. now i've forgotten which wire goes where. without markings on the speaker, how do i determine polarity? the wires to the board are marked + and - but not the speakers

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1708
get a 1.5v battery. Connect the terminals and observe the movement of the cone, if it moves forward, then the polarity is the same as the way you connected the battery and vice versa.

barnaby30000
Unregistered guest
That worked great! I guess I hadn't forgotten after all. Was just worried that after spending $162, I'd screw 'em up. Thanks a lot

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

I agree you shouldn't put Armorall on your speakers. Armorall is primarily a UV protectant so unless you put your speaker outside or in the tanning booth with you it will do little of anything that is good. If the surrounds are foam they will eventually fall apart and there is nothing I have seen to stop it from happening. But a simple repair kit will get you back in business. A rubber suround should last for several decades. The surrounds on my 3/5a's are still good and their going on 30 years old. So don't worry, you'll tire of the speakers before they wear out I'll bet.

Silver Member

Post Number: 880
Okay, thankyou all.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us