NAD Decision

Username: Sjordan

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone. I've been following this forum for a while now and decided to go and listen to an NAD receiver to see what all the fuss is about. I don't like being a "follower" but I must admit, NAD had a sound unlike any other receiver I auditioned (in store). It was the 752 paired with PSB Image speakers. It seemed very detailed and clear to me (a novice audiofile at best). Not to sound like a cliche, but I could "feel" the music. Not just hear it. I am definitely sold on this brand of receiver. However I am not so sure which one to get. With so many threads listing problems with the x2 line, I don't mind spening the extra $ for the x3 line. Only problem is, I am not sure which one. 763 or 753? I have a small/medium sized apartment/condo living room (about 300 sq ft). I am planning on bookshelves for the front/mains and wall mounted surrounds. The extra power and RS port in the 763 might be good for future upgrades. But other than that, I don't see much difference. Price really isn't too much of a consideration. I know they'll both sound great. Not to mention make my 4 brothers insanely jealous! Any input on which one to buy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 38
In your present living situation, I don't see that you would need more than the T753. Its nice not to have price as a consideration! If you are flush, at the time you are ready for a bigger sound, you might step up into separates and really big amps. I will also, like I always do, suggest you listen to the NAD with some Martin Logans (Montage, Mosaic or Clarity), your brothers will die with jealousy! I hope you enjoy your decision whatever it is.

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
I just purchased the NAD T773 receiver with Snell speakers. I should have them within a week. I have listen to other receivers (Denon, Yamaha, Rotel) and found out that the NAD is probably one of the best if not the best (probably with Rotel as well), and I think that you will enjoy your system. If you will try the Snell speakers with the NAD it sound and feeling great! regarding T763 or T753, sound is the same, and you will probably most of the time will not go above 15-20 watt (this is the normal range of sound that most of the people listing to music or movies. To answer you why I purchased the t773 one - is just becouse I have 8X8m2 room, but even for me the 753 is enough (and the extra $ was not an issue as well). Good luck, and enjoy your new system.

Daniel

Username: Johnny

Post Number: 64
Audiogirl,

Nice description of the NAD sound in your above posting. It is very hard sometimes to put into words what you hear, but you did a wonderful job. I have an NAD T762 paired with PSB Image series speakers (2B's for front, 9c for center, Polks for surrounds right now...more PSB's to come later). First of all, let me tell you that the combination is simply awesome. The PSB speakers bring out the detail of the NAD even more. I was blown away by how much better it sounded than my old Onkyo/Polk system. Your description of "feeling" the music was right on. Secondly, I want to say that I have had absolutely NO problems with my T762. If you can find a dealer that still has them in stock, check them out. You could get a T762 for the same price as the newer 753...and still have the extra power and the RS port. However, I do think that in your situation the 753 would be plenty. Like Daniel said, you probably would never get anywhere close to the limits of the 753 (much less the 762 or 763). So unless you are planning on moving to a MUCH larger space, the 753 would serve you find.

Anonymous

The 763 is way more receiver than you need for that size a room. Get the 753 and spend a little extra on decent interconnects and speaker cable.

Username: Sjordan

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your input. Upon further review and of course, your recommendations, I am going to purchase the 753. Ya Hoo! I now need to turn my attention to speakers. Again, I have a small/med living room (about 300 sq/ft with an average size ceilling) and think bookshelves for the mains are the way to go. I'd like to keep the entire 5.1 speaker system under 2k. Asthetics (spelling?) are important to me. Sound first, but looks do matter since this is gooing to be part of my decor. I'm a girl, what do you want? I'm considering NHT (tacky looking IMHO), PSB, B&W, Monitor Audio, Canton (nice stying with the silver grills. It's a chick thing), Paradigm, loved the Martin's stying but way out of my price range, and a few others including Maggies if I can make them fit (their new center and surrounds should be out soon if not already). So basically I'm looking for the best "kick xss" book shelf speakers, surrounds, and sub to blend flawlessly with a new NAD 753 for less than 2k. Possible? I hope so!

Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 41
Audiogirl, excellent choices and I think you will be please whatever you decide. I have listened only to some B & Ws and Paradigms so can't help you out with your picks (I don't even remember the model #s). (I did get the ML Montages for a great price and nothing else was in its league--but enough of that) I also submit, for your consideration and given your prices, the Ascends. I have not heard them but they constantly get great reviews, listener awards etc etc. Here is their website to consider: www.ascendacoustics.com/Main/HT/2000.asp
and of course that new Maggie system if it fits in your decor. The ascend website also has numerous posted reviews. There is always going to be better stuff depending on your price points. As for bookshelf stuff (besides the build your own variety), I certainly have read numerous posts of folks who love the NHT and the Monitor Audio. Hopes this helps and be sure to let us know what you decide on and how it sounds.
LOL!

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
Try the Snell bookshelf, sound great! model: K.5mk2 Video-Shielded Monitor. I have the E.5mk2 Floor Standing Tower. You will have a very clean sound, so you will be able to feel it as it a live show in your room.

Daniel

Darren
Unregistered guest
Daniel Benatar:

I was wondering if you could do me a favour. I read on another thread that the T773 had a problem with a "humming" noise coming from the speakers during a Dolby Digital movie (not DTS). I went and listened to the T773 yesterday and sure enough the humming was there. Even the dealer said that you wouldn't expect this from a receiver costing this much.
Anyway, could you please play a Dolby Digital movie with either the coax or optical connection and pause the movie. Do you hear a distinct "humming" sound from your speakers? It shouldn't matter how loud it is as it will hum from the first decibal reading ( I think it's minus 74 but I'm not sure). I'm trying to find out if this was a problem with that specific receiver or if it happens in all of them.

Thanks for this.

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
Darren,

I will have my receiver early next week and will test it, but I went to the dealer and audited and tested it all and all several tims, and did not hear any "humming" with the t773 and snell speakers. I have asked the dealer about bugs and issues with this receiver and he was not able to find one so far (and he is very well familiar with the NAD models and issues). according to him, this model, should be free from issues, as well the sound should be more cleaner than the x2 model, as this one has new cooling system, and new software. Hope that this help you ?

Thanks, Daniel

Darren
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the good news Daniel. I very much appreciate the info.

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 138
Audiogirl:

Since you don't like the finish on the NHTs, I have a few suggestions for speakers to match you NAD receiver. Each of these speakers works very well with the NADs. In no particular order:

1. Epos: Audio Advisor is having a sale on these marvelous speakers and on sale they fit your budget. Check out the Epos M12s for your mains ($599/pr.), the ELS3 Center speaker ($300), and a pair of ELS3 bookshelfs ($299.95/pr) for your surrounds. Comes in a beautiful real cherry wood finish. Here is a link to their listing of Epos speakers from which you can get more info:

http://audioadvisor.com/store/mfglisting.asp?MFGID=41

2. Dynaudio Audience 42s. A simply superb speaker, a small monitor really, that is the speaker the old LS3/5a's should have been. Only 11" tall, it sounds much bigger than it really is. May be the finest sounding speaker for under a grand that I know of. They run $699/pr., and the center speaker, the 42C, is $399. I cannot find them discounted anywhere, but you may have more luck. Comes in half a dozen different finishes.

3. B+W 602 S3s. A very fine speaker, MSRP is $600/pair, and the matching center speaker is the LLCR600 which goes for $500, although you can economize a bit here with the slightly smaller LCR60, which is only $350. Has that nice light oak finish with the silver grill you liked so much on the Cantons.

With each of these speaker brands, I would definitely get the Hsu Research STF-2 subwoofer, available directly from Hsu for $399. Given the small size of your apartment, you may well simply get the smaller STF-1, which is only $299. Dr. Hsu is THE MAN in subwoofers and he makes superb subs Either way, you can't do better for the price he charges.

I hope this is of some help to you. Congrats on the new NAD--I am looking forward to getting one of my own which is supposed to be here sometime next week.

Gordo
Unregistered guest
Hawk-

What Nad did you end up ordering? T763?

What are you pairing it with?

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
Gordo:

I wish. No, I still have kids in school and college is not far away. I ordered a 753 and feel lucky just to get it.

I have not made a final decision on speakers. My wife wants them hanging on the wall as unobtrusvely as possible and out of the (her) way. It is down to Dynaudio Audience 42s, NHT L-5s, NHT SB-3s and Krix KDX. I figured I would get the receiver and then audition each speaker in my home before making a final decision.

However, without constraints, I would get the Magnepan MMG system.

Anonymous

Hawk:

I'm seriously considering the NAD 753 - where did you order yours from?

Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 46
Hawk, tell your wife that walls are there to hang art and shelves, not speakers. LOL. Congrats on the NAD purchase. I know you've been waiting a long time to replace your Denon.

I was surprised about how many top speaker makers ARE making hangable speakers. Mind boggling. When a trend catches they all follow like little sheep.

Username: Browncow

Post Number: 3
Except the difference on the paper, NAD T763 has a huge circle sharp transform which is better than the rectangle one in T753. Also, T763 has an internal decoder for HDCD that is absent in T753.

Hope it helps.

BAM
Unregistered guest
What kinda prices are the T753/ 763's going for? Any authorized online dealers? Deals?

Username: Gman

Post Number: 154
Audiogirl--

Good luck on not getting any complaints from neighbors in your condo.

When I finally moved into a house in 1996 I had never felt so liberated in my life. Of course, some of my neighbors in the various apartments and condos I had previously lived in may say the same.

I doubt I could ever live in an apartment or condo again, unless they are built to be sound-proofed--like anechoic chambers, or built like an armory.

I had some very good equipment back then and my speakers weren't even on a wall and I used no subwoofer. Good luck with speakers on a wall and having no complaints. I hope your domicile is more sound-proofed than any I lived in before I bought a home.

I hated living in a situation where I had to always worry how loud the music was--and this was at 8pm or earlier.

I hope you don't run into the same problems I had--because I always felt there was no fun in owning very good equipment and speakers when you can only play them as loud as a medium-powered clock radio.

Now I am in sonic bliss. The removing of neighbors improved my acoustics:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
Anon:

I ordered mine from Kiefs (www.kiefs.com). I have purchased gear from these guys for more than 25 years and I have always been satisfied. I have purchased gear from others, too, but I keep coming back to Kiefs for the service and honest pricing. Nice people. Generally, they offer a flat 20% off the MSRP on mail order, which I have always found to be very fair--and they are an authorized dealer for everything they sell.

BigDog
Unregistered guest
Hawk- Are these guys better to order from than saturdayudio?

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
Dog:

I can honestly say that I have had great service from both Kiefs and Saturday Audio as well as great prices. Kiefs quoted me a better price for the newest gear, but SA will take the price down lower after the product begins to age, so I don't think you can go wrong with either dealer. Both also are very reasonable with their shipping/handling charges, too. It is pretty much six of one and half a dozen of another.

Username: Rod

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone.
I recently purchased a NAD T743, partly because I have had NAD equipment in the past and loved it, and partly because the 743 has been getting a lot of praise. However, after listening to it for a couple of weeks, I find I am progressively less satisfied with the sound. Bass is loose and "wooley", and there seem to be areas in the frequency spectrum (upper bass and lower midrange)that are de-emphacized, so that parts of the music seem to be missing. Mind you, these are subtle affects, but they become bothersome rather quickly. I initially thought there was something wrong with the receiver, so sent it back and tried another. The new one is better, but still lacking in bottom end clarity and punch. I have tried it in two systems, one with Spendor SP1's, and the other with Vandersteen 1's, both in moderately large rooms. My wife, who has very good ears, initially loved it because of it's midrange clarity and transparency, but has been expressing reservations herself lately about the receiver's lack of ability to convey proper punch and authority in the bottom end. She says it doesn't get the rhythm of the music right, and movies have no impact... (I did turn off the "subwoofer" setting, and set the speakers to "Large", by the way). We had a T761 in our system for a short while a little over a year ago, and dearly loved it until it died. I don't remember it having any of the shortcomings we are hearing in the T743. My question is, has anyone else heard what we are hearing? I'd appreciate your feedback.

Anonymous

Hawk, another speaker suggestion from a fellow Coloradoan.

After reading many posts over a month's time and reading different reviews, I added a set of Athena Point 5 speakers to my Canton Ergo speakers and Paradigm sub. They have been a very good match with the Cantons. The set includes 4 speakers (2 are now in my home office and 2 are rear surrounds) and a center channel all powered by a NAD T753. I find them very enjoyable and come complete with wall mounting hardware, a piano gloss finish and silver & grey front (kids and wife approved). I realize these are "cheap" speakers but they allow for more $'s for the mains to enjoy the music you listen to. The Athena sound greatly improved after breaking in. A noticeable change to a warmer, full sound while still being very detailed. Thanks Hawk and may others for the many posts I have read over the last several months. They have helped greatly.

Rod, I have found my NAD T753 to have helped bring out the low end and enhance the sound of the small Athena speakers previously mentioned. This was compared to a Marantz 6300 receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us