NAD T742 questions...... please help!

Username: James0226

Post Number: 1
I just received my new NAD T742 today, along with the NAD PP2 for my turntable. Finally got it set up and running and I am in the process of checking every possible "bugs" that I've read from this great forum. Here's my question:

First is a minor problem which is that I find the receiver gets quite warm after the 1st hour I'd say..... If owners of the same receiver can give me some feedback on that, it'll be great.

Note: I've never owned an hi-end receiver, so I don't even know what the norm is.

Secondly, a more serious problem, I think; there's a noise coming from the receiver itself, I don't know to call it, "hum" or "hiss" or whatever, but it's a constant pitch about that of a B-flat, I think. Not loud, I can only notice it when I get to 1 feet of the receiver.

But the problem that came along with this is that I heard that same exact pitch being amplified in my speakers! Again, it's only noticable when I am very close to the speaker (within 1.5 feet). I just want to know if this is "normal behavior"!

Note: the noise doesn't change volume when I turn the volume control at all.

I'd be thankful if NAD T742 owner and anyone else willing, to get back to me on these issues! Thanks a lot.

James

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 151
Switch speakers (left with right) and make sure the receiver is the problem. If you have a local dealer, take the receiver in and see if you can duplicate the sound in their store. If you can, exchange it for a new unit. If not, the problem may be coming from factors at your home.

The receiver running warm is normal. The receiver running hot (almost burn your fingers) is not.

If it turns out to be a bad unit. I would insist on a new one.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 152
One other thing. The receiver needs proper ventilation. It will run hot if it is enclosed in a cabinet or closet without good airflow.

Also, if you take your unit into your dealer, take the wire and speakers too. Make sure the wires are not reversed and that they are the correct size. The more info they have to examine the problem, the more likely you will resolve the issue in a timely manner.

Post Number: 2
Hi, Bleustar,

Thanks so much for your input. I feel very stupid to let you know this, but just 5 minutes ago I decided to try to using a surge protector which I had been using with my computer, just to see if "that" was the problem (I've been reading a lot about "dirty" power and surges)

Anyways, the "pitch" noise went away completely from the receiver, and I was just so amazed and in disbelieve! I'd run it again with the original outlet to check for sure (cuz I also left the receiver off after playing about 3 hours of music)

Again, thanks for your help!

James

Post Number: 3
By the way, I came across a post where Hawk was gonna test an Acoustic Research surge protector $30, of course now I can't find the thread! I need to get a surge protector now for sure and $30 seems very reasonable a price! Anyone knows what happen?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us